The 2021 Carleton University Students’ Association election will be taking place online Feb. 3 and 4. Students will elect six executives and 26 councillors, including one vice-president (student issues). 

The Charlatan profiled all three candidates running in this year’s election for the vice-president (student issues) position.

Myia Loback, independent

(No photo provided)

Myia Loback, a first-year criminology student, is running for vice-president (student issues) as an independent candidate.  

Previous experience

Although she doesn’t have any previous experience in the field of student government, Loback said she sees her campaign and the overall election this year as a unique learning experience. 

Reasons for running

Loback credits her lived experience as one of the reasons behind her drive to run for vice-president (student issues). 

As someone who was adopted at the age of three, Loback said she knows firsthand the pain one can feel of being rejected from society, something she said she feels no one else should experience. 

“I only wanted to run for [this position],” Loback said. “It’s the only position that I feel can really make a change on campus or at least the change I want to make.”

Slate or independent?

Although she is running as an independent candidate, Loback said she believes the slate system is good and hopes to join one in the years to come. 

“The slate system provides less independence for candidates, but more group security,” she added. 

Campaign goals

Loback said her main goal, whether she is elected or not, is to make Carleton a safer space for students of all backgrounds. 

“I feel like Carleton is already doing OK for inclusivity, but I know we can do better,” she said.

If elected, Loback said she would also introduce more mental health resources, especially for those facing stigmatized mental illnesses such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. 

She described herself as someone passionate about human rights and an avid supporter of many social and racial justice movements, such as Black Lives Matter. 

If elected, Loback said she would help organize CUSA-backed peaceful protests in the Ottawa area. 

Final thoughts

Loback said she wants equality at Carleton and the broader community, and if elected, would push for it through her role as vice-president (student issues). 

Valentina Vera González- Ravens United

(No photo provided)

Valentina Vera González, a third-year international business student, is running for vice-president (student issues) as part of the Ravens United slate. 

Previous experience

González is the current president of the Humanitarian Organization of Latin American Students (HOLAS), a group dedicated to the well-being of Carleton’s Latin American population. 

González also has experience volunteering with the Student Experience Office, CUSA and the Sprott School of Business. 

Reasons for running

As an international student from Colombia, González said she personally understands the disadvantages that come with receiving your education outside Canada, and is currently studying from her home in Colombia.

González said she has faced financial barriers such as a lack of government bursaries and grants for international students. By running as vice-president (student issues), González said she hopes to level the playing field for international students. 

Slate or independent?

Currently running as part of the Ravens United slate, González said she recognizes the disadvantages slates cause for independent candidates. 

“There should be some sort of equalizer so that independents aren’t automatically a step behind,” she said. One example, she said, is that independent candidates could receive extra support from the voting office. 

González said she felt the slate system was an effective way for like-minded individuals to push for change, but that there is still room for improvement. 

Campaign goals

If elected, González said she plans to reach out to international students individually and ask how she could make their experience at Carleton better.

“I feel as though international students don’t get enough say in policies that directly affect them, and I want to be the conduit for that,” she said. 

With CUSA representing the entire undergraduate student body, González said she would also increase advocacy within the Ottawa community to connect students with services they need. 

Final thoughts

González said she plans to continue using her voice to speak up for international students such as herself, and helping other underprivileged groups on campus if elected vice-president (student issues).

Sami Islam, Students First

(No photo provided)

Sami Islam, a third-year journalism and law student, is running for vice-president (student issues) as part of the Students First slate. 

Previous experiences

Islam currently serves as the vice-president (academic) of the Carleton Law and Legal Studies Society and is a former co-captain of the Carleton Moot Team.

As a residence fellow for two years, Islam said he is driven by his commitment to making Carleton a better place for students across campus. 

Reasons for running

Islam said growing up in the public housing neighbourhood of Regent Park in Toronto is one of the reasons he is running for vice-president (student issues). 

“When I was a child, I had no voice, my opinion didn’t matter, and now that it does, I want to give my voice to the voiceless,” he said. 

Slate or independent?

Islam said he had always felt slates weren’t inclusive—until he joined Students First.

“From the outside looking in, it feels kind of nepotistic, but once you’re part of it, it’s really nice,” he said. 

Islam added that slates provide a chance for like-minded individuals to push for a shared agenda.

Campaign goals

Islam said one of his main goals if elected is to cut Carleton’s ties with Aramark, a company that manages Carleton’s dining services. 

Aramark also operates the kitchens of more than 500 correctional facilities in the U.S. and has come under fire for pushing for stricter sentencing laws in American private prisons, among other reasons

If elected, Islam said he also wants to push for alternatives to campus security acting as responders to students in crisis, especially those on residence. 

Islam said when special constables are called in to deal with people in a crisis, “it often isn’t pretty.”

Islam said having a trained mental health specialist on campus to respond to mental health calls would be a better option.

If elected, Islam said he would also advocate for freezing tuition for international students and create increased programming for religious groups during the pandemic. 

Final thoughts

Islam said he believes in justice and equality, and plans on continuing to spread awareness and make change on campus if elected vice-president (student issues). 

Featured graphic by Etta Gerrits.