The 2021 Carleton University Students’ Association election will take place online Feb. 3 and 4. Students will elect six executives and 26 councillors, including one vice-president (student life). 

The Charlatan profiled three of the candidates running in this year’s election for the vice-president (student life) position.

Daisy Kasper, Ravens United

Photo provided.

Daisy Kasper is a fourth-year global and international studies student running for vice-president (student life) as part of the Ravens United slate. 

Previous experiences

Kasper currently serves as the vice-president (talent management) of AIESEC, a leadership organization providing cross-cultural experiences. She has also spent three years involved with frosh as a first-year student, facilitator and vice-head. 

Currently a student safety patroller for Campus Safety Services, Kasper said she tries to be involved in the community whenever she can. 

Reasons for running

Kasper said her positive experiences in the school community made her want to provide opportunities for students who may not typically get involved. 

Kasper said she wants to restore students’ trust and create a more united CUSA. 

“It’s not my CUSA, it’s not your CUSA. It’s our CUSA,” she said. 

Campaign goals

Kasper said one of her key goals if elected will be to create a leadership academy, consisting of speakers and webinars to prepare students for careers after graduation. 

Kasper said she also wants to transform Ollie’s to make it more inclusive by focusing less on the “drinking and partying aspects” and turning a part of the pub into a bookable space for clubs and societies.

With school being entirely virtual for the time being, Kasper said she wants to move events like Thirsty Thursday online to “target those lonely nights that Ravens must have.”

Kasper said she would also want to create more of a sense of sports culture at Carleton, especially among first-years, such as by making the BirdGang package free to freshmen. 

Slate or independent?

Kasper is currently running with the Ravens United slate, which she described as a slate that “cares about making change on campus and not just getting a $32,000 salary.”

Despite what she considers a lack of trust in the current slate system, Kasper said she doesn’t necessarily think they should be done away with. However, she said she would want to examine the current slate system to make them more inclusive and fair to all students. 

Final thoughts

Kasper wants to be a leader on campus, which she said means empowering others. If elected, Kasper would want students to know they have her support and wants to ensure everyone has a “successful Carleton career.”

Emilia Perez, independent 

Photo Provided

Emilia Perez is a second-year neuroscience student running for vice-president (student life) as an independent candidate. 

Previous experience

Perez currently serves as the vice-president (external) of the Carleton Neuroscience Society, a neuroscience department representative, and the vice-president (finance) for the Panhellenic executive council, a governing body for Carleton sororities. 

Perez is also a fundraising co-ordinator for Jack.org, and a volunteer at CUSA’s Health and Wellness Centre and the Student Mental Health Engagement Committee. 

Reasons for running

Perez said she would like to see a change in the current CUSA system and wants to push to see more inclusivity, positivity and equity. 

In her experience as a student, Perez said she has often been confused and in the dark of CUSA’s plans. Perez said she sees a need for further transparency so students know where their money is going. 

Slate or independent?

As an independent candidate, Perez said it is a struggle to run against slates with six times her budget and reach—something she found exacerbated by social media campaigning. 

She said this puts independent candidates at an unfair disadvantage, and admitted there have been moments when she’s seen her election as an impossibility. 

“A large number of students have heard of Students First,” Perez said. “I’m not sure that those same students have heard of Emilia Perez.” 

Campaign goals

If elected, Perez said she would like to push for more counsellors and therapists on campus, pointing out that some Carleton students have been waitlisted for over a year under the current system.

She said she would also like to see more online mental health resources, including emergency health and wellness support.

Perez said she would also want to see all events that took place in-person before the pandemic continue virtually, and wants students to apply to Carleton based on its exciting student life. 

“Being a Raven is something to celebrate and be proud of every day,” Perez said, adding she wants to create events to showcase Carleton’s multicultural community, including 2SLGBTQ+ and BIPOC communities. 

If elected, Perez said she would also push for environmental action and stronger recognition of Carleton’s place on the traditional unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishinaabeg people.

Final thoughts

Perez said she wants to support the entire student body and pledges to remain open to criticism and advice. 

She added that her “determined, strong, positive, hard-headed and compassionate spirit will never stop pushing for students’ interests and a total revamp of CUSA.”

Jay Slawter, Students First

Photo Provided

Jay Slawter is a third-year communications and media studies student running for vice-president (student life) as part of the Students First slate. 

Previous experience

Currently serving as the president of the Rideau River Residence Association, Slawter said he has been involved in leadership positions since his arrival at Carleton. 

In his first year, he was elected to RRRA as vice-president (programming), where he planned a residence formal and brought the first ever drag queen show to residence. As president, Slawter also planned the first virtual frosh.

Outside of Carleton, Jay worked this summer for the Ottawa Pride Festival, helping plan the first ever virtual Pride.

Reasons for running

Throughout his time at Carleton, Slawter said he “fell in love” with politics at Carleton, which is part of the reason he wants to run in another election.

Slawter said he hopes he can continue to give back to the community if elected as vice-president (student life). 

Campaign goals

If elected, Slawter would be the first openly gay CUSA executive. He said he wants to “redefine student life as a safe space.”

Some of his ideas include launching a Carleton Pride Festival, so Pride can be celebrated “365 days a year.” 

He said he also wants Ravens to give back to the greater Ottawa community through charity events. 

If elected, Slawter said he is planning to launch a friend finder app or website for students to meet and find each other, which could double as a way to find job opportunities. 

Slawter said he wants to resume Carleton traditions, even if it means transitioning them online. With this school year entirely virtual, Slawter said students, especially first years, missed out on meeting new people. 

He added that many of his ideas consist of more ways for students to build connections through events and programming. 

Slate or independent?

Slawter is running as part of the Students First slate. Slawter said his experience campaigning this year looks different than previous years, which saw candidates campaigning together in the tunnels. 

“My feet aren’t hurting as much but my neck hurts,” he said, adding that despite the neck pain, he enjoys campaigning on social media, although it can be a doorway to anonymous hate. 

Final thoughts

Slawter said he’s already given a lot to Carleton, but he wants to keep going and use his position to make everyone feel recognized at the university. 

“The community has already voted for me two times. Why not a third time?” Slawter said. 

Independent candidate Alyssa Arkell could not be reached for an interview. 

Featured graphic by Etta Gerrits.