The 2021 Carleton University Students’ Association election will be taking place online on Feb. 3 and Feb. 4. Students will elect six executives and 26 councillors, including one vice-president (finance). 

The Charlatan profiled all five candidates running in this year’s election for the vice-president (finance) position.

Ahmad Ali Mohamad, independent

(No photo provided)

Ahmad Ali Mohamad, a fourth-year neuroscience and mental health student, is running for vice-president (finance) as an independent. 

Previous experience

Mohamad is the current vice-president (finance) of the Carleton Neuroscience Society where he manages the society’s budget, ensures a positive cash flow, and increases student engagement. 

Mohamad also volunteered as part of the funding committee within CUSA last year to oversee the funding for clubs and societies, while working alongside previous vice-presidents (finance), Jacob Howell and Farook Al-Muflehi.

Reasons for running

Mohamad said his passion for student service and volunteer work are what inspired him to run for vice-president (finance). 

“I believe in gender equality. I believe in climate advocacy and sustainability,” he said.

Mohamed said he is also passionate about mental health and advocating for students with disabilities, adding he hopes to instill those values in his practice if elected. 

Slate or independent?

While Mohamad recognizes that the slate system can be a positive experience, he said he was able to get enough nominations as an independent candidate. He said his focus is to serve the Carleton community. 

“I went into this with an open heart to see what’s going to happen,” he said.

He also said he hoped running as an independent would inspire other students with the qualifications to run without feeling pressured to be part of a slate.   

“Running for CUSA can be socially burdening on a person,” Mohamad said.

Campaign goals

Mohamad said his main goal is to create an initiative that provides food, clothing, and study supplies for students. The initiative will support students who require financial aid, students with disabilities, and first-generation students.  

Mohamad also plans to adopt a green solution by reducing paper usage as part of his sustainability plan. 

If elected, Mohamad said he plans to celebrate gender equality and empower the voices of minority groups. Additionally, Mohamad wants to create a platform to encourage students with disabilities to run for political positions.   

Lastly, if elected, Mohamad said he will practice transparency and accountability by releasing the funding criteria for clubs and societies. He added he will also make all the financial documents concerning CUSA businesses, such as Ollie’s, available to students.    

Final thoughts

Mohamad said he is a strong fit for this position because he will listen to students and prioritize their needs. 

“I’ll definitely be committed to their service,” he said. “I’m going to put them first.”

Emily Buchkowsky, Students First

Photo Provided

Emily Buchkowsky, a third-year commerce student, is running for vice-president (finance) as part of the Students First slate.

Previous experience 

Buchkowsky has been a member of the Sprott Business Students’ Society (SBSS) for the past three years and is now the current president, where she represents over 2,800 students. 

As SBSS president, Buchkowsky has experience with improving internal policies, overseeing budgets, and ensuring the society is able to provide students with quality events and opportunities.

Reasons for running

Buchkowsky said her biggest goal is to provide value to students. She said that in her current position in the SBSS, she has always ensured that each opportunity benefits all students.  

With the numerous fees students have to pay, Buchkowsky said she wants students to benefit from their CUSA membership.

“I want to make sure that every dollar spent is going to provide students with some sense of value, whether that’s educational value [or] professional value.”

Slate or independent 

Buchkowsky said she believed that running with a team can be more effective, one of the reasons behind her decision to run as part of the Students First slate.

“I believe that with a team you can have so many more ideas and so much more to offer with like different personalities and different skill sets,” Buchkowsky said.

“I truly believe teamwork makes the dream work,” she added.

Campaign goals

If elected, Buchkowsky said she would introduce CUSA internships to create more jobs for students, as well as providing them with professional skills and opportunities. 

“I firsthand know what it’s like as a student, especially in COVID times, to be looking for a job,” Buchkowsky said. “Jobs are literally minimum to non-existent at this point.”

Buchkowsky said she would also create virtual networking opportunities and office tours to help students connect with their potential workplaces.

Buschkowsky said she also plans to turn Haven Books, an off-campus bookstore and coffee shop owned by CUSA, into a social enterprise, including offering affordable products for students and supporting BIPOC and student-owned businesses.

With a self-described passion for entrepreneurship, Buchkowsky said she also plans to empower student entrepreneurs by providing them with training and grants. 

Final thoughts

“I believe students should vote for me because of my experience working within a not-for-profit organization [SBSS], and ensuring that students get as much value out of their membership as possible,” Buchkowsky said.

Kareem AlWazir, independent

(No photo provided)

Kareem AlWazir, a fourth-year business law student, is running to be the next vice-president (finance) as an independent.

Previous experience

AlWazir has been a Rideau River Residence Association councillor and a CUSA faculty of public affairs councillor for two years. 

He is also the current vice-president (finance) at Phi Delta Theta fraternity, where he manages budgets of $16,000 and $30,000 and builds sustainable finance portfolios. 

As a current undergraduate senator at the Carleton senate, AlWazir supported a motion for the 2021 winter courses to be held online, as well as a motion for flexible and compassionate grading options, which was passed in November.

Reasons for running

AlWazir said his mission is to “unlock CUSA’s fullest potential,” and empower students “to succeed, innovate, and live comfortably.” 

“There’s so much CUSA can offer more than what it has,” AlWazir said. “We just need a different type of business mindset, [an] executive mindset.”

Slate or independent

AlWazir said running as part of a slate is not the best option “for democracy on campus,” adding that independent candidates are demotivated due to lack of support. 

“No matter how popular you are, you’re still outnumbered by six people that are each perhaps getting 100 volunteers,” he said. 

Campaign goals

AlWazir plans to create a student relief fund that includes bursaries for students in need of financial support. 

He also wants to provide more grants to students which would help them in their education, and provide financial relief for student entrepreneurs.

“Who wants to take a loan while you can get a grant?” AlWazir said. “I myself had a loan, but I have no other option.” 

He plans on reopening CUSA businesses by providing delivery and takeout options and creating more profits through rewards programs that will give students free items and discounts at Haven Books.

As a Muslim student with few halal food options, AlWazir said he wants to introduce more inclusive and diverse businesses on campus. 

AlWazir said he also plans to create an online and automated orientation to empower student leaders by providing them with the training and resources they need to manage their finances.   

Final thoughts

AlWazir said he believes students should vote for him because he has “the training, the experience, and the proper knowledge” to succeed as vice-president (finance). 

“I will always have the student’s best [interests] at heart, and will always be vocal to speak up for the student body.”

Manuel Osvaldo Lebron Flores, independent

Photo Provided

Manuel Osvaldo Lebron Flores is a fourth-year computer science student running for vice-president (finance) as an independent candidate.

Previous experiences

As an Enriched Support Program (ESP) facilitator at Carleton, Flores prepared and led a computer science workshop with a group of around 20 students last year. 

“My experience in computer science and math courses and my general love for spreadsheets I think is really going to help me here,” Flores said. 

Reasons for running

With his computer science and spreadsheet skills, Flores is looking to help students save money by looking for new ways to improve the current system. 

Flores said he believes it’s important for students to be able to save as much money as possible.

Slate or independent

Flores said he is willing to co-operate with his colleagues if elected, but he believes he can accomplish his work as an independent.

“For me, I don’t think that trying to save students money needs to be part of a slate,” Flores said. “I think I can do that alone.”

Campaign goals

If elected, Flores plans to revise CUSA’s previous budget spreadsheets and formulas, and look to implement ways for improvement. 

“I hope to be able to disseminate as much information as I can, work on getting the numbers as much as I can,” he said.

Final thoughts 

Flores encourages students to vote for him for “a smarter tomorrow.”

“If students want better technology, better knowledge, they should vote for me.”

Venassa Baptiste, Ravens United

Photo Provided

Venassa Baptiste, a fourth-year business commerce student, is running for vice-president (finance) as part of the Ravens United slate.

Previous experience

Baptiste is the current vice-president (finance) of the Black Student Alliance at Carleton and the vice-president (external) of Sprott Marketing Students’ Association (SMSA). Her responsibilities include managing large budgets and creating professional opportunities for students.

She also completed a co-op program from January to April 2020 with Welch LLP, an accounting firm where she gained real-life experience and developed new accounting skills.  

Reasons for running

With her experiences and passion, Baptiste wants to ensure students at Carleton have a great university experience. 

“Others can look back at Carleton and say ‘that’s a school that cares for the students,’” Baptiste said.

She added that she is running to “challenge the status quo” and provide students with more effective opportunities. 

Slate or independent?

Baptiste said she felt honoured to join Ravens United because of Matt Gagné’s work ethic, the slate’s candidate. 

“When he wants things done, he would get things done,” she said. 

She also believed that working with a team would “have a louder effect on campus.”

Campaign goals

Baptiste plans on creating more funding for students by reviewing the previous budget and redistributing money towards bursaries, scholarships, and other programs that need more support.

“Money should be going to places that explicitly support and help students in terms of getting to where they want to be,” she said. “That means [getting] to graduation, to a job, or more leadership experience on campus.”

Her team also plans on implementing an anti-racism plan to help execute anti-racism policies on campus, so all students can “feel safe, comfortable, and empowered.” 

She added that this plan resonated with her as a Black woman, especially in light of George Floyd’s death in the U.S. last summer, which she said affected her well-being, among other things. 

“My mental health was not it. I was trying to find a job. I had no money,” Baptiste said. “It was not a good time for me.”

Final thoughts

“Students should vote for me because I have the passion, the drive, and the experience to create a Carleton that is more united, more transparent, and more accountable,” Baptiste said.

Featured graphic by Etta Gerrits.