WARNING: SEXUAL ASSAULT

This story contains mention of sexual assault. Those in need of support can call the Ottawa Distress Centre Crisis Line: 613-238-3311 or the Carleton Sexual Assault Support Centre: 613-520-5622.

The sexual violence policy at Carleton University is far from a comprehensive support system for survivors. Policy updates from the Board of Governors must be implemented swiftly and substantial changes must be made in order to serve the student body. 

More than 70 per cent of university students have experienced or witnessed sexual violence, according to Statistics Canada. One in 10 women surveyed were sexually assaulted at university within the year preceeding the survey. The number of students who face sexual violence is significant, yet strategies to deal with this violence need drastic improvement.

Instances of sexual violence that occur within the Carleton community can be handled either informally or formally, at the survivor’s discretion.

If reported informally, the respondent will be contacted by the Department of Equity and Inclusive Communities for alternative dispute resolution—this could involve mediation or an education session on consent with a university employee. The respondent is not obligated to respond or attend any meetings set up by Equity and Inclusive Communities.

If reported formally, the review process takes an average of six months before a decision is made. 

Six months is an eternity for a survivor of sexual violence to wait on a decision. While it is a fraction of the two to three years police reporting takes for survivors, it is still too long. 

For survivors, a six-month review process means six months of uncertainty, and of being forced to relive trauma by describing it to lawyers and mediators assigned by the university. It also means six months of delay in actions the university can take to protect survivors.

During this time, efforts to separate the survivors are minimal. The policy states that the formal review process must be kept confidential, and depending on the circumstances, interim measures can be suggested.

For example, a respondent living in residence would be permitted to stay on campus for the duration of the review process, in the company of other students, before even being required to attend any consent education meetings. 

This is not enough.

Survivors of sexual violence require swift support and resolution. While Carleton’s sexual violence policy provides this resolution, the time it takes has a real potential to revictimize survivors.

Although the current system requires improvement to ensure justice for survivors, it shouldn’t deter survivors from speaking up or advocating for themselves.  

Changes to Carleton’s policy must include more than proposed grammatical and wording changes. Instead, they must prioritize relieving the emotional burden the reporting process places on survivors.

Reporting sexual violence is possible and has potential to provide resolutions for survivors. However, for a university that prides itself on sexual violence and consent awareness, significant changes must be made to live up to expectations.

Featured graphic from file.