Editorial: We must resist ‘parental rights’ rhetoric to protect 2SLGBTQ+ youth

181

In 2023, more than 500 anti-trans bills were introduced in the United States. 

These bills, which aim to strip the rights of transgender, non-binary and gender-diverse individuals, impact youth in particular. According to a study from Boston University, the rise in anti-trans legislation correlates with high anxiety, clinical depression and self-harm rates in transgender and gender-diverse youth. 

Now, Canadian politicians are evoking “parental rights” rhetoric to also promote anti-trans policies within schools. 

We must resist “parental rights” rhetoric to protect 2SLGBTQ+ youth. 

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith followed in New Brunswick and Saskatchewan’s footsteps this month by announcing new “gender identity” policies. These policies include requiring parental permission for any school lesson that mentions gender or sexuality. They will also ban teachers from using a student’s preferred name and pronouns without parental consent. 

Most alarmingly, Smith’s policies require that parents must be notified if a student uses a new name or pronoun.

Research demonstrates abiding by a gender-diverse youth’s chosen name betters mental health. While names and pronouns are beautiful elements of gender expression that should be celebrated, 2SLGBTQ+ youth in Canada are not always accepted. 

As of 2022, up to 40 per cent of homeless youth are 2SLGBTQ+. Familial rejection, especially for gender-diverse youth, is a leading cause of 2SLGBTQ+ experiences of homelessness. 

Conservative opposition leader Pierre Poilievre says he supports “parental rights” because he “trusts parents to make the right decisions for their kids.” However, limiting gender-diverse youth to either be outed to non-accepting parents or live in closeted gender dysphoria will have harsh consequences. 

Forcing disclosure of queer youth’s names and pronouns distorts a gender-affirming experience into a potentially life-threatening one. 

Additionally, granting parents the ability to refuse the usage of their child’s name and pronouns goes against the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Youth in Canada are their own, individual persons. To grant another person the right to deny or limit queer youth’s gender expression contradicts their Charter rights to free expression and equality. 

It is unacceptable that vulnerable members of the population are being placed in heightened danger while simultaneously having their Charter rights violated. 

While framed as honouring parental decisions, “parental rights” rhetoric reflects a harmful larger political agenda to generate fear and anger toward 2SLGBTQ+ Canadians. The Canadian Security Intelligence Service recently warned that extremism from the “anti-gender movement” could generate extreme violence against the 2SLGBTQ+ community. 

We must challenge these talking points both politically and socially, supporting politicians who stand up and declare “all young people deserve to be who they are and have their identities represented and respected at school.” 

Featured image from files