Queer Christian singer Danah-Lee poses for a photo.
Danah-Lee, a queer Christian musician from the Ottawa Valley. [Photo provided by Danah-Lee]

The terms ‘queer’ and ‘Christian’ are ones which rarely coincide, much less join together in union. For queer Christian musician Danah-Lee, her identity is integral to the innermost parts of her character. 

In March, Danah-Lee released her new album, Made in the Image, and came out as lesbian on television shortly after. She said these moments signified embracing the fullness of her queer Christian self. 

“I haven’t really been open about both [parts of my identity] before, but they’ve always been there my entire life. Now I feel like they just merge so beautifully together because they are really the fabric of my being,” she said. 

Danah-Lee released Made in the Image after receiving a grant from the Ontario Arts Council. She said the album is a passion project created during a stressful period in her life.

In summer 2021, Danah-Lee became sick following an adverse reaction to her first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, to the point where she couldn’t walk or work and had to move in with her parents. 

“The album was really the impetus to me getting well,” she said. “I allowed myself the space to share everything about my life without fear.” 

Danah-Lee’s longtime friend and fellow musician David Campbell said he commends her courage in coming out, especially after growing up in a traditional Christian household in the Ottawa Valley.

“She comes from a … background [where] people are not really that forward thinking,” he said. “For her to make the decision she made, that [takes] a lot of bravery.” 

Danah-Lee also runs More Than A Song Studios, a musical studio in Renfrew, Ont.

Katya Beresnikow, one of Danah-Lee’s music students, highlighted the intersection of Danah-Lee’s identities through artistry.

“I think it’s really cool, and super important to have that queer representation in music. Especially for a Christian artist, that isn’t something you see very often,” they said. 

Despite discrimination and other challenges she is facing challenge her goal to establish herself in the contemporary Christian music genre, she underlined the importance of the new spaces she and her fellow musicians are creating. 

“For many years I thought I was so alone on this journey, but I’m discovering that there are so many other people out there who are just like me. I just want to [show] people that they’re not alone,” she said. 

Campbell said he has noticed significant growth in the musical spaces Danah-Lee is nurturing.

“She seems to have aligned herself with a lot of people who have similar values,” he said.

Home to Myself,” a single on Made in the Image, is about reclaiming and finding sanctuary in your body after facing discrimination. Danah-Lee said the song sits softly in her heart. 

“I’m made in the image of God, and the song is really about the freedom to finally be me after years of guilt and torment and just being treated unfairly,” she said. 

Ultimately, she hopes her story can spread two key messages: harmony and support systems. 

“I’m just a normal person. I grew up in the church. I’m queer. I’m not trying to inspire, but I would like for there to be some harmony,” she said. “We’re progressing, and we need to change our thought patterns, and we need to move forward.”

She noted organizations such as PFLAG and the LGBT Youthline are in place to support queer youth with resources and support systems she wishes she had while she was closeted.

“My identity was my biggest secret, and I don’t know how I got through all those years alone. No one should have to,” she said. 

Danah-Lee now celebrates being in the headspace and position to embrace all aspects of her true self. 

“My faith is 100 per cent me, and my sexual identity is me, and I can’t undo those things,” she said. “They merge because this is who I am.”

Featured image provided by Danah-Lee.