Editorial: International students are not to blame for Canada’s housing and economic crises

359

On Jan. 22, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced a new cap on international students and will issue just 360,000 study permits in 2024 — a 35-per-cent reduction from 2023. 

The cap signifies that international students are being wrongfully blamed and punished for Canada’s affordability crisis. 

International students should not be scapegoated for the cost of living crisis and rising housing prices. The truth is that housing costs are up due to a variety of factors, including archaic single-family zoning policies that limit housing supply and short-term rental properties.

According to Marc Miller, minister of immigration, refugees and citizenship, this decision is “striking the right balance for Canada and ensuring the integrity of our immigration system while setting students up for the success they hope for.”

This policy marks another measure implemented in response to the ongoing concerns with the housing market and health care. However, in trying to improve the living situations for Canadians, this cap ignores the benefits international students bring to Canada.

Universities Canada and Colleges and Institutes Canada expressed their concerns with the new cap in a recent joint letter to Miller.

“[International students’] contributions are vital in sustaining local labour markets, increasing diversity and meeting the demands of high-growth sectors. The policy’s impact extends far beyond institutions, affecting businesses and communities,” the letter said.

The truth is that welcoming students from across the world into Canada benefits the economy and aids universities. The high tuition rates international students pay to study here provide funding for the institutions, and the students fill numerous essential jobs that keep Canadian society running.

International students contribute more than $22.3 billion per year to the Canadian economy, as cited by IRCC in 2022. This is a greater contribution than exports of auto parts, lumber or aircraft. 

Many international graduates stay in Canada and provide valuable contributions to the labour force. Their gained knowledge has been especially crucial in the post-pandemic economic recovery.

By placing a hard cap on international students, Canada isn’t acknowledging what these students have and will continue to contribute to Canada’s economy. This is especially insulting when done under the guise of fixing multifaceted issues such as housing costs and health care.

Ultimately, international students are a benefit to Canada. Prospective international students should not be unfairly punished by a restriction in study permits for a problem their predecessors did not cause in the first place. 

Featured graphic from files