Sexual assault on campuses is a pressing issue that universities struggle to deal with day in and day out. Carleton is no exception.

A man was charged with assault of three female staff members at the university this September added visibility to the ongoing battle against sexual assault and rape culture.

The first six weeks of school are increasingly referred to as the “red zone,” as most sexual assaults on campuses happen between orientation week and thanksgiving weekend.

Carrolyn Johnston, co-ordinator of Carleton’s Sexual Assault Support Services, said although she is not familiar with the term the red zone, statistically it is correct.

“Anecdotally, we do see more people seeking support and information at the beginning of the fall semester,” she said.

Ummni Khan, an associate professor at Carleton, said most studies indicate college students are disproportionately vulnerable to sexual assault.

“The first two months of the fall term, especially for first year students, is a time when a higher number of assaults occur,” she said.

Khan is currently in New York City working at Columbia University, where a student has sparked controversy for a performance piece in which she carries a mattress to all her classes on campus as long as she attends the same school as her rapist.

A New York Times feature, countless articles, and extensive media coverage have put Columbia under pressure to investigate the alleged rape and combat the issue of rape culture on their campus. But what services and campaigns does Carleton offer to ensure sexual assaults on campus are being addressed?

Carleton opened their sexual assault centre in 2013 as part of Equity Services, after the Coalition for a Carleton Sexual Assault Centre had advocated for one over nearly seven years, according to coalition head co-ordinator Taylor Gillies.

The Sexual Assault Support Centre offers information and referrals to services both on and off-campus, according to Johnston.
“We have peer support volunteers who are available to meet with individuals on a one-time basis,” she said. “I also provide individual short-term counselling, safety planning, and academic support to students who may require it.”

However, Gillies said the centre had a quiet opening last year and many students on are still not aware of its services.
The coalition continues to be active, and offers a sexual assault helpline for counselling and referrals, according to Gillies.
Campus Safety plays a big role in combating sexual assault on campus as well, offering full investigations into reports with the Ottawa Police upon the survivor’s consent, said community liaison officer Mark Hargreaves.

Safety also maintains the safe path on campus—a well-lit, high traffic area that is clearly indicated on several campus maps to ensure safety of students when walking on campus.

“There are additional emergency assistance phones in there as well,” Hargreaves said. “It’s well maintained.”

Johnston said Campus Safety and the Sexual Assault Support Centre are also both working in collaboration with the Carleton University Students’ Association to promote the “Think! Engage! Change!” campaign, which promotes sexual assault awareness across campus.