Photo by Julien Gignac.

Carleton students Hayley Combaluzier, a third-year commerce student, and Rafaela Ahsan, a third-year architecture student, said they want to help students get co-op placements and jobs with their new website “Tenasity.”

“The whole purpose of Tenasity is for students to get short term projects to accelerate their job search and build the skills they need for their resumé to get the job,” Ahsan said.

Tenasity was designed as a way to quickly add experience to a resumé and help students improve their employability on a short-term basis. Combaluzier said she wants the website to help students get bigger jobs.

The idea for their project came from the frustrations of not having the right qualifications for jobs and internships, Combaluzier said.

“We were applying for co-op jobs. That’s supposed to be the stepping stone to get you a full job but theres a gap between that and a career,” she said.

Ahsan and Combaluzier said they are trying to fill this gap with Tenasity. For a fee, companies can sign up to post projects and job listings on Tenasity. Students who have signed up can view these listings and sign-up for ones they are interested in.

The goal is to connect employers with proactive students, Combaluzier said.

“When you’re a student this is a great way for you to meet people and get something from the connections you have,” Ahsan said.

The website was conceived and created entirely by Ahsan and Combaluzier. Ahsan, an architecture student, said she had to learn computer coding from scratch to build Tenasity.

“I took over the whole website creation. I can’t say I knew any coding whatsoever to begin with,” Ahsan said.

Tenasity began development at the beginning of the summer and has been in beta-testing for the past month, Combaluzier said.

Alex Kurkjian, one of the beta-testers and an engineering student at Carleton, feels the website makes searching for co-op jobs and relevant experience very easy.

“Tenasity and its services will only make finding and obtaining those experiences easier,” Kurkjian said. “I believe the idea for Tenasity is fantastic.”

While Tenasity doesn’t officially launch until Sept. 24, the founder said several students and businesses have already signed up. One of the businesses is the Ottawa Centre EcoDistrict, according to Combaluzier.

“We are currently looking to get students,” Ahsan said. ”We want to get them on Tenasity. We want them to know about it because it’s almost time to think about co-ops.”