Couchman said he wants men to recognize there’s something missing in the way they’re socialized. (Photo by: Willie Carroll)

In an effort to combat violence against women, a Carleton graduate student has launched a new project that focuses on changing male ideas of masculinity and gender-based violence.

“We want men to be seen not just as perpetrators [of violence], but also as people who can be engaged in preventing it,” said Ron Couchman, a sociology and anthropology councillor for Carleton’s Graduate Students’ Association.

Couchman’s project, I Can MANifest Change, was launched in collaboration with the Ottawa Coalition to End Violence Against Women.

Through workshops, the project aims to train groups of 10-20 men at a time, who in turn go on to train other men. It’s the idea of “training the trainers,” Couchman said.

Launched Jan. 27 at city hall, Couchman said his project will work with community organizations that want training.

Couchman said he wants men to recognize there’s something missing in the way they’re socialized. He said men are taught “No means no,” but that may not be enough. Men don’t always seek “enthusiastic” consent.

“Men may not realize that there are situations where it may not be comfortable for a woman to say no,” he said.

These are the situations in which gender-based violence may occur. The project also aims to teach men to engage in “bystander prevention.”

Stefanie Lomatski, executive director of the Coalition, said she hopes the project will lead to a dialogue, show men they can be champions for women’s rights in their communities, and can show solidarity with women in this movement. She said that while feminist groups have managed to find a voice, they’re finding that men aren’t as involved as they would like them to be.

“There are a lot of young men out there… with feminist perspectives,” she said.
“A lot of them do value women as part of their lives.”

Couchman said there are a lot of women’s groups working with women and providing support, but they aren’t as engaged in addressing men.

It’s a thought echoed by Nancy Worsfold, executive director of Crime Prevention Ottawa, the organization funding Couchman’s project.

“There’s a lot of support for the victim, which is great,” she said. “[Now] we want to develop prevention, so that there are less victims.”

Worsfold’s aim is to prevent violence before it happens. Addressing men directly, who are the main perpetrators of violence against women, is a good strategy, she said.

Worsfold said her department noticed “some leadership emerging” on Carleton’s campus on the issue with Couchman’s on-campus group, Men for Equality and Non-Violence.

She said it’s important that “young men take leadership.”

“What I hope is it’ll spark a discussion about the nature of masculinity, healthy relationships and violence,” Worsfold said.

Couchman said he’s been following recent incidents with violence against women on Carleton’s campus. While there’s been a lot of media attention in past few months, similar incidents are always happening, he said.

“What we have is a few women who have stepped forward, which is unusual,” he said.

“The truth is that gender-based violence is happening all the time.”