Boston U commissioned the report after two hockey players were charged with sexual assault. (Photo provided)

A culture of “sexual entitlement” exists among Boston University’s men’s hockey team, according to the findings of a university-ordered investigation issued in response to sexual assault accusations against two of its players this past winter.

Corey Trivino, a former New York Islanders draft pick, pleaded guilty to reduced charges in August, while criminal charges against Max Nicastro, a former Detroit Red Wings pick, were dropped.

The two incidents occurred within a three-month span.

“This culture is actively supported by a small subset of BU’s undergraduate population. The absence of systematic processes for sexual assault prevention training for members of the men’s ice hockey team, and for BU students more broadly, contributes to behaviours that place many University students at risk,”  said the report, produced by a taskforce commissioned by university president Robert A. Brown.

“This culture of sexual entitlement, as evidenced by frequent sexual encounters with women absent an emotional relationship or on-going commitment, can also involve unprotected sex,” the report said.
The task force found that oversight of the team was lacking, while expectations for players’ behaviours were unclear.
The fact that approximately one-third of the team has already been drafted by NHL clubs also contributes “to a culture and climate in which players may not be fully engaged in the academic, intellectual and extracurricular activities that are routine for the broader student body.”

Among the report’s 14 recommendations, the top recommendation states that the university should “normalize the reporting structure in the department of athletics so that all coaches, including the men’s ice hockey coach, report directly and exclusively to the athletic director.”

In addition, the task force recommended that the university establish sexual assault prevention training and sexual and reproductive health education programs, as well as a specific office to provide counseling to victims of sexual assault and harassment.

As for members of the hockey team, they “should undergo sexual assault prevention training on an annual basis from a reputable specialty organization that has expertise in evidence-based best practices,”  the report said.