Students no longer need to wait in line every year to renew their OSAP. (Photo provided)

Starting this term, the Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities has introduced OSAP Express, a streamlined application process for over 300,000 OSAP applicants and recipients.

OSAP Express requires a student to sign a loan agreement once throughout their entire post-secondary studies, according to senior media relations officer Gyula Kovacs.

OSAP Express also speeds up the enrolment verification process and direct deposit options, and avoids the need to line up for hours multiple times per semester at financial aid offices.

In addition to saving money on printing costs and avoiding line-ups for students, implementing OSAP Express will also result in government savings of over $150,000 per year, Kovacs said.

“Essentially our ministry realized the paper-based loan document process was time consuming for students and financial aid offices,” Kovac said via email.

“The new process will ensure students receive their OSAP funding faster and with fewer administrative touch points.”

In order to participate in OSAP Express, students must sign one loan document called a Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement.

This agreement lasts a student’s post-secondary studies, unless there is a break of more than two years, Kovacs said.

At the start of each term, the student’s school confirms enrollment to the Ministry, and the student’s OSAP funding is automatically deposited into their bank account.

Second-year Algonquin College student Sebastian Mol has been receiving OSAP for two years.

“I think having the process electronic will save a lot of time and money printing pages. It also relieves stress of having to deal with the application every year over the summer,” Mol said.

In 2010, the Ontario government committed to improving service delivery for OSAP recipients,  Kovacs said. Changing over the system has taken years of preparation, including significant changes in information technology systems.

Ian Ladouceur, a second-year accounting student at Carleton University said he agrees that it’s a good step forward for OSAP.

“Without line-ups and extra paper, I can make sure everything is in order by logging onto my computer wherever I am and not worry about taking an hour or more out of my day to sign papers and wait in line,” Ladouceur said.