Ontario government to release response to post-secondary deficits, visa caps

290
Minister of Colleges and Universities Jill Dunlop told the Charlatan in an exclusive interview Feb. 21 at the Ontario Legislature that the provincial government will soon be addressing the financial deficits many post-secondary institutions are facing. [Photo by Natasha Baldin/the Charlatan]

The Ontario government will soon release its response to the blue-ribbon panel report to address the financial deficits currently plaguing the post-secondary sector.  

Colleges and Universities Minister Jill Dunlop is expected to provide more information Monday (Feb. 26) on the government’s path forward.

Last November, the blue-ribbon panel released a report laying out several recommendations to the province to alleviate the financial challenges that many colleges and universities across the province are experiencing.

Carleton University is projecting it will “need to present operating budget deficits” during the next two academic years despite currently operating on a balanced budget, according to the university’s 2023-2024 budget report.

Queen’s University recently announced an estimated $48 million budget deficit and is examining a temporary suspension of its Master of Public Administration programs.

In an interview with the Charlatan, Dunlop said she has been consulting with post-secondary institutions as well as the panel’s recommendations ahead of releasing a plan.

“The recommendation from the panel was that this is a joint effort by students, by government and by institutions,” she said.

“Our piece, as far as the government stepping up and being part of the solution, will be available shortly.”

The panel recommended the government end its tuition freeze on domestic students and introduce a one-time five-per-cent tuition fee increase this September, followed by annual two-per-cent increases.

It also recommended Ontario provide an immediate 10-per-cent boost in government grants followed by a minimum of two-per-cent increases annually.

Dunlop confirmed the Ford government will continue the tuition freeze for at least another year, but did not provide further details on increasing institution funding.

“We want to see that if we’re providing funding for schools, that they are also running as efficiently as possible, so that will be their piece to play,” Dunlop said.

Post-secondary institutions are also grappling with the federal government’s recent cap on international student visa permits, which will see Ontario’s allotment of new permits cut in half.

Dunlop said the federal government did not consult with the provinces or post-secondary institutions in its decision to cap international student permits.

“It was something that we were really shocked with and we are now having to work on what the path forward will be for schools and what allocations will look like,” she said. 

Dunlop said the government will also be releasing details on how visas will be allocated within the province, addressing labour market needs and considering guaranteed housing options for international students.

She said the province is looking into various on and off-campus housing options, pointing to existing programs that pair students with seniors who have extra space in their homes.

Peggy Sattler, the NDP’s critic for colleges and universities, said the deficits colleges and universities are facing “will put the sector and our communities at risk” and urged the government to immediately prioritize post-secondary sustainability.

“Students are already struggling with cuts to OSAP and cuts to student supports and services,” she said at the legislature Feb. 21.

“They should not be expected to cover this government’s failure to properly fund tuition increases.”

Dunlop will be holding a press conference Monday (Feb. 26) at 2 p.m. to announce further details.

Featured image by Natasha Baldin.