The most recent sexual assault at York University is part of “a disturbing trend of sexual violence” at the university, according to a press release by the York Federation of Students (YFS).
On Sept. 7 at 2:24 am during a birthday party at one of the university residences,  it is alleged that a man followed an 18-year-old woman into her bedroom, turned off the lights and sexually assaulted her, according to a Toronto Police Service press release.

Nineteen year-old Mohammad Hadian has been charged with sexual assault and will appear in court Sept. 7.

Three sexual assaults also occurred at York from July 5-6, and the school faced criticism from students, who were not notified by the university until several days after the assaults, on July 9.

A string of sexual assaults also occurred in 2010, according to the CBC.

Some students said they feel that the York administration is not taking necessary steps to ensure consistent safety measures on campus, including changing the culture of sexual violence on campus.

The student union is working towards the social issue side of the problem, YFS vice-president of Equity Safiyah Husein.

“One thing we want to implement is a mandatory equity course,” Husein said. “This will give a chance for students to engage in dialogue, getting to the root of sexual assault and violence.”

“There is procedure information available but we are mostly focusing on talking about issues of hatred, misogyny, discrimination and homophobia” Husein said.

“We want to create a dialogue of these issues to stop it before it occurs. I believe steps have been taken but there is a lot more to be done,” she said.

Reem Sabagh, a first-year undergraduate student at York, said she is concerned and uncomfortable about the lack of safety measures on campus.

“I don’t walk alone on campus. I usually take someone along with me,” Sabagh said. “Security on campus should really take more precautions.”

Sabagh said she does feel a bit of relief now that police on campus seem to be checking for IDs regularly.

“The safety of the York University community is our top priority,” York University Media relations spokesperson Joan Rider said via email.

“York University has taken many measures to increase the safety of its campuses over the last few years and crimes against individuals have decreased by 15% in the last year,” Rider said.

“Close to $10 million was spent last year on safety related infrastructure, up from $8.9 million the previous year,” she said.

This includes an extra $200,000 on lighting and an extra $250,000 on the campus shuttle service, which now has two routes and increased ridership to over 7,000 new riders, Rider said.

Rider also said the university has a goSAFE program with 60 escorts that will accompany students to a car, bus, class or residence on campus. As well, the university has increased security staff by 40 per cent, Rider said.