One referendum question was passed by the constitution and policy committee of the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) on Feb. 25. It will go before CUSA council March 13 and, if approved, will be sent to the CUSA elections office before being voted on by undergraduates.

According to committee chair Riley Evans the question is: “Do you support raising the World University Service of Canada (WUSC) levy by $1 to sponsor a second refugee student to resettle and attend Carleton annually?”

The WUSC levy is currently $1.32.

Two questions failed to pass through the committee and one was pulled.

One failed question is: “Do you agree that CUSA should amend its constitution to establish a general assembly as its highest decision-making body with control over, but not limited to: finances, policies, constitution, bylaws, and elections?”

The second: “Do you approve of a $1 levy to support the Carleton United Nations Society?”

Evans said the second question failed because the United Nations Society did not send a representative to the meeting.

He said those at the meeting raised concerns about how effective or viable a general assembly would have been, if the question had gone to students.

One question was pulled before the committee could weigh in on it: “Clubs and societies are one of the main avenues for students to get involved on campus and around the community and as the numbers have dramatically grown, we need to upkeep with the demands of the clubs. Would you be in favour of increasing the clubs and societies levy by $1.50?”

CUSA vice-president (finance) Folarin Odunayo said the question will instead be sent to a body with representatives from CUSA, the Graduate Students’ Association, and the university for consideration.