[Photo via Office of the Governor General]

Jaws dropped internationally when Meghan Markle alluded to racism in the Royal Family during her interview with Oprah Winfrey. When the Duchess of Sussex revealed members of the family had expressed concern over how dark baby Archie’s skin would be, Oprah’s meme-worthy expression of incredulity said it all.

These revelations aren’t surprising. If anything, they should serve as a reminder of  why it’s time for Canada to leave its colonial past, allegiance to the Royal Family, and the Commonwealth behind.

Canada isn’t exempt from the topic of Oprah’s interview with the royal couple: anti-Black racism. It starts early—Black Canadians make up 12 per cent of Toronto District School Board high school students, yet comprise 31 per cent of all suspensions, according to one study.

This same study examined the experiences of several Black Canadians in their interactions with police. In 1988, Michael Wade Lawson, an unarmed 17-year-old, was shot in the back of the head by a Peel Regional police officer. The officers involved were never held responsible for the incident.

More recently, Abdirahman Abdi, a Somali Canadian man, was killed after a confrontation with Ottawa police officers. Abdi died in hospital following the encounter, sparking protests in many of Canada’s major cities. Const. Daniel Montsion, the officer charged with manslaughter in Abdi’s case, was acquitted in October 2020. 

Evidently, anti-Black racism is alive and well in Canada. But racism does not have to resemble murder to be present. It exists in daily interactions, like a family member’s comments about a child’s skin being too dark, for instance.

These incidents, no matter how seemingly innocuous, have colonial roots. Chattel slavery, which predominately affected Black people and continues to influence their treatment and opportunities today, was practiced by European nations like Britain and brought to colonial settlements such as Canada. 

Canada’s disenfranchisement and cultural genocide of Indigenous peoples can also be traced back to British colonialism in Canada. The introduction of the residential school system, for example, was influenced by British colonialism. Residential schools existed not only in Canada but in England and Australia as well, confirming their status as imperialist tools for assimilation. 

Though these tools of cultural genocide are no longer in use, Indigenous peoples in Canada continue to be affected by generational trauma and the socio-economic repercussions of colonialism. The continued lack of clear and concerted efforts for reparations for survivors of residential schools demonstrates a national and governmental lack of accountability for the systemic racism it instated.

Ultimately, the Royal Family’s racism is more than a simple microaggression. The family represents a generations-long culture of bigoted thinking that has embedded itself in the historic and modern practices of Commonwealth countries—a culture that clearly has not subsided, if the family’s concerns regarding skin colour are considered.

Removing the Queen as Canada’s head of state would not be easy. It would require a re-evaluation of Canada’s status as a constitutional monarchy and the removal of the governor general, and involve major cultural adjustments and much more. It would also likely involve a significant economic investment, political campaigns and public outreach. 

However, the Commonwealth comprises 54 countries, most of which are primarily populated by people of colour. Many of these countries are beginning to show their disapproval for the systemic racism in the imperialist history of the Royal Family, and are working to do something about it.

In September 2020, Barbados announced it will remove the Queen as its head of state. The governor general of Barbados, Sandra Mason, said the country wishes to leave its colonial past behind, despite the financial consequences severing ties might entail. Canada would not be breaking new ground by requesting something similar. 

In addition, convincing Canadians to leave the Commonwealth may not be as difficult as it seems. A study by Research Co. showed only 22 per cent of Canadians would like to have Prince Charles become King after Queen Elizabeth II dies or abdicates the throne. 

A general national dislike for our next constitutional ruler—something we have no control over and could be stuck with for decades—indicates that it may be time for Canada to weigh the benefits of leaving England against the drawbacks.

Canada prides and markets itself as being a multicultural nation—a mosaic of people from all ethnicities, abilities, religions and sexual orientations. The idea of racial and ethnic equality is written into section 15(1) of our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which represents the great legal and egalitarian progress that has had to be made since Canada’s colonial era, given its adoption in 1982. To support these ideals and all those who have come to Canada as a place of refuge, we must stand by our values. 

Meghan’s interview confirmed that racism is still alive and well in the Royal Family. If the Queen and her family fail to publicly and privately support a racially egalitarian family dynamic—which in turn, represents the failure to support a racially egalitarian Commonwealth—then leaving the monarchy should become a serious consideration for Canada.

Featured image via the Office of the Governor General.