Home Blog Lifestyle Blog How to grab the groceries you need on a budget

How to grab the groceries you need on a budget

472
Caribbean basket product photo [image provided by @investottawa on Instagram].

Due to the extra costs resulting from COVID-19 protocols throughout the food industry, prices are beginning to rise. It will be increasingly important to plan your grocery shopping if you’re looking to stay on budget. 

Although this varies person to person, a general rule of thumb is that college and university students have $300 to $400 in their budget for groceries each month. 

These five tips will help you plan your groceries so you can stay within whatever  budget you set for yourself, and still eat properly while you do!

Consider working as a grocery shopping delivery

Many students are looking for side hustle jobs after school. Being a grocery delivery courier won’t add many points to your future resume, but you’ll always have a couple of extra bucks to please yourself. Buying groceries for pensioners or disabled people, do not make you to spend a lot of time, but you always know the local stores’ range and prices.

Look at the flyers for your local stores

The first thing you should do is look at the flyers for your local grocery store. While you look through them, pay attention to what’s on sale and make a note of what you want to buy that is advertised. Make sure you aren’t just buying things for the sake of buying things on sale. Think hard about what you really need and what would actually make for a good deal. 

Sometimes it’s best to do this before you even get to the store. Using apps like Flipp or Reebee can make flyer reviewing very easy, as they allow you to look at flyers for the stores in your area. Since grocery stores are often independently owned, flyers might differ even for stores of the same brand in a given city. 

If you have a specific store you like to go to, you can often find flyers and sales announcements via their apps as well.

Plan your meals for the week

Once you’ve reviewed local flyers, you should start planning your meals for the week. 

Take note of what you have on hand already, then decide what you need for your meal plan. Make the most of what’s on sale by selecting these items for the majority of what you need, and consider regular-priced items to fill in the nutritional gaps.

When planning your meals, prioritize cooking the items that will expire first, as this will help you avoid food waste. Canadian households lose about $1,100 every year in food waste, so it’s important to try to use everything you buy. Although throwing out the last bit of lettuce might not seem like a big deal, try to look at it as though you’re throwing money into the garbage. That is essentially what you’re doing, as you spent money on that food, right? 

When planning your meals, it’s also important to consider your own schedule. Will you have the energy to cook what you planned at the end of a long day of classes and work? On the days you know you’ll be busy, plan to prepare the easiest meals so that you avoid overextending yourself and can follow your schedule. 

Frozen fruit and vegetables are your friends

As much as you might love eating fresh food, that isn’t always going to be feasible, so plan to buy some frozen fruits and vegetables too. This can help you incorporate healthy food into your diet, even when the produce is not in season and at a reasonable price. 

Frozen fruits and vegetables are often pre-chopped and take very little preparation before cooking. Since these items are frozen and do not expire, you can also buy them in bulk when they’re on sale and get enough to last an extra couple of weeks so you can avoid purchasing them at the higher price. 

If you really want to buy fresh, buy what is in season

The fruits and vegetables that are in season are typically cheaper, so while you watch for the sales, also consider what items are in season. Not only do these fresh items typically taste better, but they may also last a little longer in your fridge (and contribute to a more sustainable food economy)!

Get (and actually use) reusable bags

Instead of purchasing plastic or paper bags each time you get groceries, invest in reusable bags. As long as you remember to bring them, these bags are worth it. The 10 cents each you pay for plastic bags may not seem like much, but it adds up. Having a few reusable bags that can handle wear and tear will save you money in the long run, while simultaneously helping the environment. 

There are many ways to save money while grocery shopping. Considering the tight budgets and rising food costs students face, it is important to save money any way you can. Some extra tips are to consider buying store brand over name brand when possible, as well as reducing meat in your diet (and replacing it with cheaper, plant-based alternatives), since it tends to be the most expensive part of the average meal. 

Remember, in addition to fueling your body, your food should also make you feel good. Always try to get the most out of the food you have and don’t be afraid to treat yourself every now and again—just keep it reasonable!