Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

From the time high school teachers start preparing their students for freshman year, potential university students hear about the high levels of stress that exist on campus requiring responsible time management and strong work ethic.

We’ve all experienced this stress, and it’s no secret that it skyrockets in the weeks leading up to the end of the semester.

But academics aren’t all that students have to worry about at the end of the fall semester. Well-intentioned festivities like holiday parties and Secret Santas start in late November when final papers are due and continue straight through December, into the exam period.

Students should wait until the end of the semester to worry about executing a perfect holiday season, and focus on exams while they’re happening.

There are too many holiday responsibilities to begin with—let alone when considering the increased academic workload. 

The winter break will be more enjoyable if you let yourself prepare for them with a clean slate, and figure out what you’re getting Aunt Jane for Christmas later.

University campuses especially encourage added social activities during the holiday season—with end-of-the-year parties running rampant, volunteer opportunities at every corner, and your roommates that really want to get a picture with Santa at the mall.

Carleton students face an another dilemma when trying to separate exams and the holidays. Our fall reading week, which has been made permanent, may leave some students five days between their last exam and Christmas Day.

Even though the short time period makes getting gifts together and participating in holiday parties a squeeze once the malls get busy and the social gatherings die down, the break in the fall is worth missing out on a few good sales and a cocktail.

A survey done of six post-secondary schools in the province suggested that more than half of Ontario’s students feel overwhelmed with anxiety from the inevitable end-of-semester stress.

On top of these already high rates, many studies have shown that exams create an increase in anxiety level and depression.

In a separate poll of 1,000 Canadian adults, 45 per cent said December and early January was the most stressful time of the year.

Students can be especially subject to holiday stress because of financial limitations, time constraints, the necessity of travel to get home for the holidays, and the likelihood of family tension that students who live away from home aren’t used to.

Considering normal rates of student stress can be exacerbated by exams and the holidays, trying to do it all at once just isn’t worth it.

Holiday shopping is one of the largest sources of stress for anyone leading up to the holidays, but students shouldn’t worry about it until exams are done.

It’s unlikely that anyone in your life is expecting a spectacular gift from a demographic most likely to eat 25-cent ramen noodles and take the bus every day, so don’t put that pressure on yourself.

Family and friends understand the stress of exams, and most are glad to see students filtering back to their hometowns for the holidays.

Being mentally present for those reunions is more important and more appreciated than coming with a suitcase full of presents to lay out under the tree or baking to take to the local Christmas cookie swap.

There’s no reason to feel guilty for taking a study break to join your friends for a holiday party, but there’s also no reason to feel guilty for choosing to study instead.