Anthropologie and Maison Scotch’s autumn/winter 2014 runways are two examples of several designers following a critter-friendly new trend: faux fur.

Today, the debate on the ethics of fur in fashion remains as hot and heavy as the pieces themselves. This year, Khloe Kardashian made headlines with her spray painted faux fur. Her sister’s hubby, Kanye West, also caught our eye with his rabbit fur coat worn during this year’s Paris Fashion Week.

Photos by Nadine Yousif.
Photos by Nadine Yousif.

With the changing seasons, many of us will be changing over from military-style bombers to down-filled, fur trimmed parkas. The now-infamous Canada Goose manufacturer claims to buy its coyote fur strictly from certified Canadian trappers. Still, this says nothing about the trappers’ handling of their prey. It’s time to explore one of fashion’s most hot-blooded issues!

Melissa Vong, second-year commerce:

Where did you get your jacket? 

I got it at NRML downtown.

There’s a controversy going around in the fashion world with Canada Goose Jackets as they’re mostly made from animal products. How do you feel about the ongoing discussions?

I’ve gone a whole bunch of winters just buying regular jackets and I honestly don’t find them as warm, and this is extremely warm. I also feel like it’s a timeless piece too, like I had one previously, a white one, that I’ve had for three years and haven’t changed the jacket until now so I feel it’s worth the investment.

How do you feel about leather in comparison? Do you prefer real leatheror vegan leather?

I’m more of a pleather person. I only wear this jacket for warmth.

aCampusStyle17_2_NadineYousif_(WEB)Melanie Buset, master’s in human computer interaction:

Is the fur you’re wearing real?

Yes it is.

Where did you get it? 

My sister actually bought it from a thrift store in London.

What do you think is the benefit of thrift shopping compared to commercial shopping?

I hate things that look like they’re mass-produced, I feel like it takes the value away from it. So instead of wearing cookie-cutter everything, I like buying things that are second-hand because they’re more authentic and original. Also I like things to look worn out a bit.

What is your view on fur in general?

I wouldn’t normally buy fur because I am actually a vegetarian. But, because it’s second-hand and it’s being passed down I don’t think it’s as bad as going to a store and buying it first-hand. I would never do that. I don’t eat meat so why would I kill an animal to wear it? But in this case it’s being reused and recycled.

How do you feel about leather?

Yeah, same. I wouldn’t buy real leather either. There’s vegan leather so you can do that instead. But again, if it was second-hand and being reused in some way that is better for the environment then I would do it.