Carleton University’s mental health and wellness framework is falling short of expectations and it will continue to do so until a strong education system is put in place.

Universities are starting to take responsibility for promoting student mental wellness. Last year, the Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) released national standards for post-secondary institutions’ support for students’ mental health.

In 2020, Carleton released its Strategic Integrated Plan (SIP) which stressed the school’s commitment to upholding mental wellness and the health of all its students. 

Despite palpable surges in stress and anxiety amongst students due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the university has done little to fulfill its promise.

It is hardly a coincidence that Carleton’s ranking in student satisfaction with mental health services dropped from seventh to 10th in this year’s edition of Maclean’s annual university rankings. The drop serves as evidence the university is failing its community. 

Recently, Carleton published a draft of a new mental health framework which aims to comply with its strategic direction and the standards set by the MHCC. However, it seems that a comprehensive education infrastructure is still out of the picture.

The draft says the university is looking to amplify its mental wellness system by implementing a network of self-assessment tools. This is hardly a change from the current mental wellness self-assessment system provided through Health and Counselling Services (HCS), which directs students to several links that lead users to an error message.

Neither system is enough. A study conducted by researchers in Carleton’s neuroscience and psychology departments that was published in May estimates as many as 80 per cent of post-secondary students suffering from mental illness do not actively seek support, reportedly due to a perceived lack of need or worries of stigmatization. 

Self-assessment which relies on student initiative will not support students. What students need is education on identifying signs of concerns and how they can seek help. Enhanced online navigation could alleviate confusion and misconception, but this won’t be sufficient. To address students’ needs, HCS needs to be more proactive in supporting students.

An inclusive campus environment featuring an ongoing, educated conversation about mental wellness is crucial. The current drop-in workshops set up by HCS have short lifespans are not enough for Carleton’s student body—students require in-depth educational tools instead of one- or two-hour workshops.

Carleton must proactively educate students about available services, their delivery methods, and healthcare system navigation. These efforts would drastically increase the accessibility of mental health care. Students would have knowledge about where they can turn to, what they could expect on each step, and act accordingly when a crisis arises. For these reasons, education is pivotal in laying the groundwork for shaping students’ overall support-seeking experience.

Carleton’s plan delineates an enchanting beacon of a diverse and inclusive mental health system. To see it come to fruition, the university needs to start by adorning it with education and enlightenment.  

Featured image.