Protests and demonstrations are among the most effective ways to enact change. Whether against police brutality, advocating for Indigenous peoples’ rights or raising climate change awareness, people are taking to the streets to speak their minds and incite action.

However, demonstrations can sometimes take violent or unpredictable turns. Here are some tips to stay safe while communicating your message effectively.

Tell a friend. It is important that someone knows your whereabouts, preferably someone who is not attending the protest. Let them know when they can expect to hear from you to ensure you are safe. Give them the contact information of someone you know who, in case of emergency, will do whatever they can to find you (such as a parent).

Charge your phone beforehand. Before leaving for the day, ensure your phone is well charged. Make sure you can communicate with any friends you bring with you in case you get separated. Be prepared for your phone to die or have poor service. Write emergency contact numbers somewhere on your body for you or someone else to use if needed.

Bring a buddy. Have someone keep an eye on you and vice versa. Make sure you can contact their friends or family and they can contact yours. Watch for police who may be pulling people from the crowd or onlookers who may be throwing objects. It is always good to have someone watch your back.

Wear proper clothing. The COVID-19 pandemic is not over yet, so a mask should be an essential. Also on that list should be comfortable shoes and all-black clothes so it is easier to blend in with a crowd. You may want to cover up tattoos you have as well if possible so it is harder to discern you from others.

While there is certainly more you can do to prepare for protests, these are some bare-minimum essentials you should keep in mind to keep yourself safe. After you attend these events, follow up with your activism. Social justice does not happen overnight. Find more ways to help, become more informed and do your part as an activist.