Text:
[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

The first three weeks of the winter 2022 term will be all online, according to a written statement from Carleton University president and vice-chancellor Benoit-Antoine Bacon. 

Winter term classes will still begin on Jan. 10, but the statement notes courses currently designated as in-person aren’t scheduled to return to in-person instruction until Jan. 31.

The statement, emailed out to Carleton community members this afternoon, cites the spread of the Omicron variant as the reasoning behind the shift.

“We understand that this pause in our safe and gradual return to campus is disappointing. However, in the face of such an aggressive variant, these measures are necessary to protect the health and safety of our community,” Bacon wrote.

The Ontario Science Advisory Table projects new COVID-19 cases in Ontario may reach 10,000 per day by Dec. 31, as reported by CTV News.

There have been 31 individuals since September who have tested positive for COVID-19 and who have been on the Carleton campus in the 10 days prior to the positive test result being received, according to the university’s website at the time of publication

Course delivery for the winter term wasn’t the only change announced in light of the variant.

In-person exams for the fall semester scheduled from Dec. 20 and onwards will be moved online or rescheduled and employees of the university can only come to campus between Dec. 20 and Jan. 31 if work cannot be done remotely.

The statement did not specify how the online shift may change access to the library, residences or athletic facilities but said “detailed plans” will be communicated soon.

Carleton is not the first university to move online amid the spread of the Omicron variant. York University and McMaster University among others have delayed in-person teaching for the upcoming winter term.

Bacon wrote the university will provide further updates in January. Meanwhile, as the age limit to receive the third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine is lowered to 18 years old in Ontario on Monday, he encouraged community members to get vaccinated.

“We strongly recommend that all members of the Carleton community get their third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as possible,” he wrote.

Featured graphic from file.