I recently read an article written by Sean White addressing the recent motion brought forward by CUSA to initiate funding to Greek letter organizations. I am writing this op-ed as a Greek individual, I am not speaking on behalf of the Greek community.

Sean poses a legitimate concern in his article. A non-Greek may ask themselves “why should some of my tuition be subsidized to organizations that aren’t open to all students?” When money is allocated to help CUSA establishments such as Rooster’s or Oliver’s, any student can reap the benefits. When money is given to inclusive clubs, anyone can become a member and experience the numerous outlets and societies Carleton has to offer.

Since the first Greek organization, Phi Beta Kappa, was established at the College of William and Mary in 1776, Greek letter organizations have been operated as exclusive clubs. This will not change because of CUSA funding. Thus, it is not fair to fund Greek organizations when they aren’t open to all students.

Meanwhile, the members of the Greek community on campus are Carleton University students whose tuitions pay into CUSA. It would be equally as unfair for the Greeks to be completely excluded from CUSA funding.

This is why I am proposing a solution that makes sense for both the student body and the Greek community. All the Greek organizations on the Carleton campus pursue charitable endavours that are both inclusive and aim to benefit the surrounding community. CUSA should draft a project fund for Greek Letter Organizations. Any Greek organization that wishes to receive any money from this project fund must apply outing the following criteria: a budget outlining how the money will be spent, how the project benefits the Carleton/Ottawa community, and how the project will be inclusive to the student body.

If Greek letter organizations are to receive any funding from CUSA, the funding should be used to bolster initiatives that include the student body and benefit the Carleton community. There are many examples of philanthropic events that Greek organizations pursue throughout the academic year.

TKE Saw was a 100 hour see-saw marathon that allowed any student to ride a see-saw for a donation to help raise money so two-year-old Ottawa resident Phoebe Rose can receive treatment for her leukemia. Kappa Sigma’s Wax Off and Tau Sigma Phi’s bake sale to raise money for breast cancer research, are among many other acts of charity that Greeks pursue that engage the student body to come together and raise money for valiant causes.

Tossing arbitrary funds to Greek organizations like welfare entitlements is not the ideal funding solution. For example, if TKE were to plan the TKE Saw next year, they could apply to CUSA for x amount of dollars to purchase the necessary supplies in order to build a comfortable and safer see-saw for students to ride on. Establishing a policy of Greek organizations presenting a budget to CUSA to receive funding keeps them fiscally responsible while maintaining accountability.

Setting aside money for Greek organizations for them to apply for will serve as an incentive to plan philanthropy events, will hold them responsible to use their funding to better the community, and these events will help engage students across the Carleton campus to help raise money for charitable causes while bridging the gap between Greeks and non-Greeks.

I have been a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon for the entirety of my time as an undergraduate at Carleton University. One of TKE’s core values is esteem, which I hold true to my heart. I respect and welcome any dissenting opinions and perspectives on this topic, as this article serves to propose a solution for a funding plan that makes sense for both sides.

— Sam Corey,
third-year journalism and Tau Kappa Epsilon member