Recently, Americans took to the polls on election day, as the midterm period of Donald Trump’s presidency progresses. Social media was booming with messages from both Democrats and Republicans, urging their followers to vote.

After the polls closed, the unofficial results showed that the Democratic Party took the House of Representatives, while the Republicans retained the Senate. Considering recent conflict between Donald Trump and his people, this is a huge win for the Democrats, as they look to restore decency in government.

But, while parties were campaigning, the conversation grew around younger people neglecting their privilege to vote, as they now witness firsthand accounts of Trump’s extreme actions: sanctions against refugees, attacks on journalists, and withdrawing from Paris’ 2015 climate change agreement.

In a poll conducted by Pew Research Center, 65 per cent of Americans agreed that election day should be a national holiday. I wondered at this and thought, “Huh, maybe it should happen here, north of the border.”

The numbers don’t lie. Youth participation in electoral races are not high in Canada—and around the world—and that’s a problem. Poll stations are flexible, as they stay open late. But, aside from schooling, jobs, or other commitments, there should be no reason why young people who can vote, don’t. Having a holiday will greatly extend, perhaps not the hours, but the opportunities to get the hell out and slide your sheet of paper into a box.

We have holidays for special occasions: Easter, and Labour Day, alongside holidays most of us still don’t know the meaning of—Victoria Day, for example. Maybe it has something to do with the Queen?

If we are to have holidays, it would be smart if we’d get to participate in them. Adding election day to the list will greatly improve student awareness on provincial and federal campaigns, with television progamming providing coverage on said campaigns.

Young people, listen, we’re living in an age of detrimental consequences that are caused by insignificant votes. Soon, we might be living in times where our rights to freedom might be taken away, our rights to worship freely might be taken away, when Black people face increased oppression, and Indigenous people are no longer on their land. That frightens me.

We represent a generation that has the biggest influence on our leaders. With great movements alike, our voices will be heard and have been throughout history.

Women, you represent something so much larger than a ballot. Remember the Famous Five? Nellie McClung and company fought vigorously for women to be legally considered “persons,” in order for them to have the right to vote. They did all that work—the protesting, advertising, praying behind closed doors—all for us to realize that having the opportunity to vote matters. 

Imagine your right being taken away again, for governmental leaders to walk all over you. No rights. No freedoms. Nothing.

It takes everyone, and in today’s society, we have access to unprecedented knowledge that couldn’t be as easily obtained in the 1920s or 30s.

The same goes for men, and I have a message for them too—it’s time we grow up and know our priorities. No more fooling around at the club, or disrespecting those who think they’re “not on your level.” Grow a pair, get your ballot, and vote. Trust me, it’s cool.

Making election day a federal holiday in Canada will empower and encourage students, young leaders, and family providers to vote. Do not let this opportunity pass by again—you will regret it.

So, @JustinTrudeau, how about that holiday?