Ravens forward Alyssa Cerino returned to the University of Windsor for the first time since leaving. She scored a game-high 20 points in Carleton’s 70-54 victory on Nov. 10.

The Stoney Creek native also led the Ravens in scoring with 21 points in the previous night’s 79-50 victory against the Western University Mustangs.

“It was a little weird to be back there but it was nice,” Cerino said. She saw old friends, fans, and teammates as she said she tried to focus on the game.

“I know it was a big deal for her to do well,” Ravens head coach Taffe Charles said.

Cerino left Windsor for Carleton last summer. She said she initially lost her passion for the sport and wasn’t happy after leaving Windsor —but she was also relieved.

“It was definitely hard at first and I actually did not know if I wanted to play basketball again,” she recalled.

After talking with friends and family, she decided to commit to Carleton, where she said she regained her happiness and love for basketball. 

“Finding that passion again made me reflect back on that and that’s what I’m grateful for,” Cerino said.

“I almost didn’t play again, and I almost didn’t have a chance to win a national championship,” she added. “I also [almost] didn’t have a chance to meet all the girls I met in the past year and a half.”

Cerino also said it’s important she enjoys her career since “when it’s done, I’m going to miss it”—it’s what motivates her.

She organized a meeting with Charles last week to talk about being a leader. Charles called it “a good conversation.” She referenced her Windsor experience in the meeting and talked about leading by example on and off the court.

Growing up playing sports, she’s used to being a leader and captain, according to her.

“Obviously, in university, it’s very different,” she noted. “I knew going into your first year, understanding your role as a player is a really important part.” Her role has evolved every year.

Cerino said she understands the challenges Carleton’s six rookies face this year—she was in that scenario before, being a rookie on a reigning national championship team. Windsor had just won five straight national titles when she got there.

Cerino said her friendship with former roommates and Lancers teammates Tyra Blizzard, Chout Angou, and Jahnae Gyles remains strong.

They all came into Windsor together as rookies in 2015, still keep in touch, and are “a big part of each other’s lives,” Cerino said.

She said it was “really nice” to see Blizzard again—the only one still on the Lancers—but weird to play against her. Blizzard finished with eight points off the bench against the Ravens.

Their paths crossed again on the court where their university careers began.

“As much in a sense it was hard to leave my friends, I had to do what was best for me and that was leaving,” Cerino said. “[Blizzard] understood that.”

Her return to Windsor closed a chapter, according to her.

Unless Carleton travels to Windsor in the playoffs, Cerino won’t have to play there anymore in her university career.

“I even made a comment: this is my first and last time playing [back] at this gym,” she said.

“Going back, it was definitely a little weird but I think it definitely closed that door because I knew I always had to go back there eventually.”    

Photo by Spencer Colby