RE: The kids are alright: generational stereotypes are nothing new, Oct. 8-14

Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA)’s “I’m Gunna Vote” video produced a considerable amount of backlash from the Carleton student body in the past two weeks. Students were embarrassed and disappointed in the organization for the video.

There are millions of ideas that would have been more effective, comedic, and loved by the student body rather than a cringe-worthy dude-we-look-so-gangster cover of The Lonely Island’s “I’m On a Boat,” a song nobody has seriously listened to since elementary school.

Needless to say, the video was a flop. CUSA was in charge of inspiring young students to participate in the federal election, but instead they wasted part of their budget and a grant from a pro-voting organization on material so other schools could roast us.

Although there were some parts that made me laugh—such as the first four seconds when CUSA vice-president (student issues) Maddie Adams kicks it off with profanity—the point was completely missed.

If the video had been well-received, it still would have missed its point—an effort to convince the younger demographic their political voice is important was absent in the video, unless you count the lyrics’ enthusiasm about “voting at a poll.” Even then, so many questions are left to the viewer, such as: Where is the poll? How do I vote? Why is this video representing our student body?

CUSA somehow managed to overkill making fun of themselves to the point that many had to watch the video through grimaces and hands over their faces. While watching CUSA president Fahd Alhattab impersonate a rapper and dance to questionable choreography in between profanity, the last thing on my mind was exercising my right to vote.

However, even though CUSA deserved the backlash they received, the video could have been worse. In one minute and 43 seconds of humiliation, it gained national recognition—all under the guise of getting millennials to vote. It may have achieved its goal of influencing younger people, but it was a poor use of money. Maybe we can stick to posters, buttons, and pins for the next election.