Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

Only two students attended an information session hosted by Carleton’s Equity Services and the School of Journalism and Communication about human rights and harassment in the workplace Nov. 13.

The session was meant for students looking to undertake journalism internships and apprenticeships in the future in light of the sexual harassment and assault allegations against former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi.

One allegation came from a former Western University student who interned with CBC.

“This was, of course, following out of all of the discussion there had been with respect to what was happening with the CBC,” said Susan Harada, the associate director of the journalism school.

“This specific event did make us more aware that we needed to make sure our students have the information that they need,” she said.

Carleton investigated allegations this month when a Twitter account emerged which made claims against Ghomeshi.

An investigation was conducted to determine if any Carleton journalism students worked with Ghomeshi during internships with the CBC.

In an open letter to all Carleton journalism students, Harada and journalism school director, Josh Greenberg, said only one Carleton intern of the 73 who interned at CBC Toronto ever worked with Ghomeshi. The student has not made any public complaints.

“We have no information at this time that would lead us to believe there has been any connection between any of our students and the allegations that have been raised,” the letter read.

Harada said she was surprised more students didn’t attend the session, but added that it’s a busy time of the year to attend optional events on campus.

While any Carleton student was welcome to attend the session, according to Harada, the email sent to journalism students suggested participation to “those who have already obtained or hope to arrange an apprenticeship placement as well as those who plan to seek employment or volunteer positions in the near future.”

The one-hour session was intended to inform students of their rights on campus, in classes, and in the workplace. The session included suggestions on how to handle cases of harassment.

Harada said she hoped the session would give students “a good sense of support” and an idea of what their rights are.

The main takeaway from the session, Harada said, was that Carleton students, as well as anyone else, have a right to a harassment-free workplace.

“Students in co-op placements, exchanges, internships or other work/study placements are also protected from discrimination, harassment and misconduct,” according to Carleton’s Human Rights Policies and Procedures document.

The same paragraph promises to offer counselling, educational support, and assistance to students in reporting complaints to the Ontario Human Rights Commission and other necessary parties.

The information contained in the session will be added to the regular apprenticeships information and orientation session at the beginning of every school year, Harada said.