On Nov. 4, Stephen Poloz, Governor of the Bank of Canada, gave some controversial advice to unemployed youth. In a prepared speech, Poloz said young graduates struggling to find work should “get some real-life experience even though you’re discouraged, even if it’s for free. If your parents are letting you live in their basement you might as well go out and do something for free.”

These remarks were interpreted as Poloz saying if you’re an unemployed young adult, mooching in your parents basement, you should do some work for free to help boost your CV.

He probably could have worded the statement in a way that was not horrifically condescending, alienating himself from the general working population of Canada while simultaneously shining a light on the glaring dichotomy between the upper echelons of the elite and the working classes.

But he does have a point.

Right before making the contentious statement about “adult children living in the basement,” Poloz explained that whenever someone asks him for employment advice he tells them to, “volunteer to do something which is at least somewhere related to your expertise so that it’s clear that you are gaining some learning experience during that period.”

This instructional tidbit is completely accurate and essential in today’s post-post-secondary job climate where the youth unemployment rate is twice the national average.

Based on my own personal experience, I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion. Let me preface this by saying that I am a writer, with hopes of being an author. In this field, free work just seems to be expected.

All my life I have wanted to be a writer. I came to Carleton in 2011 with an open mind, and in my second year I declared a combined honours in journalism and Greek and Roman studies. As my journalistic skills began to develop, I looked for outlets to practice and hone my abilities. I stumbled upon The Scene Magazine, or rather it stumbled upon me, and I quickly became a key fixture in the national arts and culture publication.

I have written, reviewed, and interviewed artists and bands from all over the world.

When the position became available I stepped into the role of the Ottawa editor for our magazine.

Since I started this full-time job I have been paid a total of $24.50. I made that paycheque from selling ad space to a local metal band I was friends with in high school.

Has it been worth it? Yes. I do not regret devoting my time, hard work, original material, and sometimes sanity for this job.

I am happy working for free because I am with an organization I truly believe in and support. They repay me by reciprocating these feelings.

As a student coming into a new field, the most important impressions are the few planted at the beginning of your journey.

I have built a reputation for myself and continue to expand my network with every article I publish, artist I interview, and moment I capture. When I go into a job interview, I can proudly showcase my work.

But landlords and grocery store clerks do not accept a good reputation or solid work ethic in lieu of payment.

It is an expensive world to be a student in, but if you are serious enough about executing the life planned in your head, you will find a way to make it work. Obviously there are exceptions, but if I can point to myself as an example of the fairly average fourth-year student—working multiple jobs while in school is difficult, but not impossible.

To be exceptional at what you do often you need to work off the clock. The rewards might not be obvious, but it’ll pay off eventually.