Protecting clubs and societies should remain a top priority for the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) as we move into a post-pandemic university experience.

CUSA, which controls the status of campus clubs and monitors allocation of student levy funds, must continue to support smaller student-run groups. This is imperative to clubs’ survival in the transition back to in-person classes.

Student clubs have not had an easy few years. The introduction of the Student Choice Initiative (SCI) in 2019, which allowed students to opt out of the levy, brought budget cuts to clubs.

While the SCI was repealed after a lawsuit by the Canadian Federation of Students-Ontario (CFS-Ontario), the provincial government has initiated an appeal. This makes the future of club funding unsure.

Financial losses compounded by the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic—which forced clubs online and removed avenues for on-campus recruitment—have the potential to be disastrous for campus culture if clubs are not supported continually going forward.

Thus, organizations that can support clubs must continue to do so. CUSA must advocate for clubs amid funding cuts and encourage student involvement in decisions that affect clubs. Continuous open communication between CUSA and Carleton’s clubs is crucial, especially regarding certification, training, funding and changes to regulations. 

Without such continued backing from CUSA, these vital elements of Carleton’s campus life risk going unsupported and underfunded.

Featured graphic from file.