Montreal's Jessie Eldridge scores the first goal of the PWHPA's Canadian tournament finals. [Photo provided by the PWHPA]

The top female hockey players in the world are looking forward to the Ice Hockey Women’s World Championships starting Aug. 20.

The championships were originally scheduled for the end of April, but were cancelled by the Nova Scotian government just days before the tournament was set to start. Many teams had already begun to travel and quarantine, and American forward Kendall Coyne Schofield expressed frustration with the late notice.

“To learn that there was no contingency plan and the [International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF)] is letting 25 of the best players in the world return to their homes today with, ‘We are seeking new dates,’ is simply unacceptable,” Coyne Schofield wrote in an Instagram post.

Much of the anger was the result of the IIHF appearing to do everything they could to complete the men’s tournament. Men’s tournaments had been rescheduled, moved and meticulously planned to ensure they went off without a hitch. American forward Hilary Knight called it “another reminder that women’s hockey continues to be treated as an afterthought.”

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Hilary Knight (@hilaryknight)

The IIHF reassured players that they would look for alternatives. On June 2, the IIHF announced Alberta would host the tournament in Calgary from Aug. 20 to 31.

In May, the Professional Women’s Hockey Players Association (PWHPA) also hosted a Canadian tournament in Calgary between three teams from Montreal, Toronto and Calgary. Canada’s roster for the world championship centres around Marie-Philip Poulin, who was fantastic in the Calgary showcase, scoring five goals with six assists in five games.

Natalie Spooner, who played for the Toronto team during the Canadian tournament and helped lead the team to a game two win over Montreal, will also appear on Canada’s roster for the world championship.

In the finals of the Calgary showcase between Toronto and Montreal, forward Sarah Nurse was a key component in two goals, and she’ll also play with Canada.

Other young players, such as Sarah Potomak and Jessie Eldridge, played incredibly well in the Calgary showcase and will likely take over the top scoring roles from older Canadian players during the world championship. With young defenders playing well and the strength of Montreal goalie Ann-Renée Desbiens in net, Canada will ice a formidable team.

The Canadian team will match up nicely against the United States, their strongest opponent. The U.S. roster, which has yet to be finalized, looks to be the best team of the tournament. They’re maintaining many of the key players from their 2018 Olympic and 2019 World Championship gold medals and adding young talent from the best of the NCAA.

Knight, Coyne Schofield, Amanda Kessel and Brianna Decker are all expected to return to the team. They all performed well this year and have scored consistently on the international stage.

American forward Abby Roque, 23, made her PWHPA debut this year and dazzled, scoring six goals and five assists in her first six games. She has yet to play on the USA national team but is sure to make a huge impact when playing with more experienced teammates.

The rate of scoring and amount of experience from the top six forwards of teams Canada (red) and USA (blue) from the Olympic Games and World Championships since 2010. Data from Elite Prospects. [Chart by Simon Hopkins]
The Americans and Canadians will be the teams to watch, as they both put forward incredible rosters. With limited games played in the last 18 months, the anticipation is growing ahead of their first meeting when the World Championship begins on Aug. 20.

Featured image provided by the Professional Women’s Hockey Players Association.