Every year, students pay fees that fund our student associations. And every year, both graduate and undergraduate students vote democratically for their union leaders who will control those funds.

Despite low voter turnouts and the unfortunate reality of constant lawsuits, it is still a democratic process.

The decision of Carleton’s administration to withhold the Unicentre fees from the Graduate Students’ Union (GSA) not only interrupts that process but should also offend every student who pays the compulsory fees to fund the GSA and the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA).

Regardless of whether you side with the GSA or CUSA in regards to the controversial Unicentre fees, it is clearly a student issue.

The Charlatan has written that Unicentre fees should go to the undergraduate union to help fund graduate student use of the service centres. But we also support the democratic process, and said any further decisions should be made in another referendum.

For the administration to withhold fees from one side is both unfair and paternalistic.

Student unions play an important role in representing the needs of students at the university, needs that don’t always align with administrative priorities.

Students pay to support their student unions with the knowledge that they control those funds.

Whether those funds end up covering legal fees, health insurance, or student campaigns, that’s the right of the association to decide. Not the Carleton senior administration.