Home Opinion Editorial: Carleton should introduce Indigenous requirement

Editorial: Carleton should introduce Indigenous requirement

25

Carleton should follow the example set by Lakehead University and the University of Winnipeg and adopt the policy of making a class in Indigenous studies mandatory for all students.

The history and culture of Aboriginal peoples in Canada has been neglected in post-secondary institutions and suppressed in society for decades. This trend has started to change, as some universities have recently made it mandatory for students to take at least a half-credit in Indigenous studies.

Education is a big part of reconciliation, and introducing a mandatory Indigenous requirement would go a long way towards educating students on the historic injustices faced by Aboriginal peoples in Canada. Regardless of program, learning about the history of the Indigenous in Canada would be beneficial for both students and Canadian society.

The role of education in reconciliation between Aboriginal peoples in Canada and the rest of society cannot be understated. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) recently released its list of recommendations, many of them focusing on the role of education in changing people’s perspectives towards Aboriginals. These include acknowledging the contributions of Aboriginal people to society in elementary and high school curricula and calling for the development of post-secondary programs in Aboriginal languages.

Carleton has already taken some steps towards reconciliation by creating a graduate diploma and master’s of arts concentration in Indigenous policy and administration. But the university should do more.