On June 1, the same day the world was introduced to Caitlyn Jenner, ESPN announced they would be awarding her the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the 2015 Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly (ESPY) Awards.

This is a decision that caused a lot of controversy with people calling for Jenner to instead give the award to others they deem as being more deserving. These include 19-year-old college basketball player Lauren Hill, or Noah Galloway, a war veteran who lost his left arm and leg after an improvised explosive device (IED) attack.

After being diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour, Hill went on to play four games in her freshman year at university. She also raised more than $1.5 million US for cancer research, before dying in April of this year. Since his injury, Galloway has competed in numerous marathons and adventure races, while also competing on Dancing With the Stars this past year.

As stated on the ESPN website, the Arthur Ashe Courage Award is awarded to individuals “whose contributions transcend sports.” Jenner, as well as Hill and Galloway, all certainly meet this requirement.

Courage is not a competition, nor does it conform to one definition. Courage knows no age limit and comes in all different forms. We see it in the little girl who conquers her fear of heights by leaping off the diving board at the community pool, and we see it in those who use their personal tragedies to inspire and motivate countless other individuals.

However, the hate and abuse that Jenner has faced since coming out perfectly exemplifies why she is more than deserving of this award.

I know I’m among those who like to believe that now, in 2015, we live in a pretty modern and accepting society. However, public response to Jenner’s transformation, as well as our overall treatment of LGBTQ individuals, show that we still have a long way to go.

It’s no secret that transgender people continue to face extremely high rates of violence and discrimination across the world. Outdated notions about gender and sexuality have contributed to an environment where transgender individuals are regularly persecuted and vilified.

ESPN’s recognition of the courage Jenner has shown in living her life as her true self could therefore not come at a better time.

I’m not saying that Caitlyn Jenner coming out instantly solves all the problems transgender individuals currently face, be they discrimination or violence. Nor does it accurately represent reality for the millions of other transgender people across the globe who don’t have access to Jenner’s wealth and resources. It is, however, an important recognition of the fact that it’s okay to be yourself.

Instead of engaging in pointless arguments about who is “the most courageous,” we should celebrate the courage Hill, Galloway and Jenner have shown.

People will forget about who won an award for courage. What they won’t forget is the way Lauren Hill refused to let cancer keep her from achieving her dream of playing college basketball.

People won’t forget how Noah Galloway didn’t let a devastating injury keep him from living his life. And they certainly won’t forget about Caitlyn Jenner showing us that it’s okay to be yourself, even if doing so is the opposite of what society expects of you.