Photo by Julien Gignac.

Required readings are a thorn in the side of every post-secondary student.

It isn’t uncommon for university professors to begin the semester’s first lecture by explaining to their class they will be expected to read several chapters every week from one or more textbooks—which are, more often than not, astronomically expensive.

In many cases, these readings are lengthy academic discussions of concepts relevant to the focus of a particular course.

While understanding the theories, models, and ideas central to an area of study is an extremely important part of post-secondary education, I don’t believe required readings are helping students accomplish this, at least not in their current form.

As a Carleton student with a double major in journalism and global politics, I begin most of my courses with the intention of staying on top of my assigned readings every week.

I purchase the required textbooks—typically used or rental to reduce costs—and fill my calendar with the chapters I plan to read for each class. But as the semester progresses, my schedule fills up with other obligations. Like most of my friends, I have a social life, a part-time job, and volunteer commitments.

The same professors who have assigned me hundreds of pages of reading over a semester have also scheduled tests and assignments. And so, I’m forced to prioritize.

When faced with a midterm and several chapters of readings that are both due at the end of the week, I have to decide where my attention is best devoted. The midterm will win out, every time.

When I can find time to do a reading, I skim through it, focusing on what I believe to be the important points and remembering them as best as I can.

This is a skill all students have to master. The sheer volume of pages we’re expected to get through leaves us no other option.

As a result, I don’t take the time to contemplate what is often very interesting material.

I memorize and regurgitate what information I can in discussion groups and on tests. Very little of what I’ve read stays with me in the long term.

I don’t think eliminating required reading from coursework is the solution to this problem, however.

Instead of chapters from a textbook, what if it became standard practice for professors to ask students to read articles or essays relevant to the course material?

We would each save what the Canadian Federation of Students estimates to be between $500 to $1,000 spent per student on textbooks every year.

Most of this kind of material is available for free, in complete form, online.

Essays and journal articles are shorter and usually more concise than textbook chapters, and I believe students would be far more willing to devote their time and energy to reading them.

I think students would also be more likely to digest and retain the information discussed within them. An article about the factors leading to a factory collapse in Bangladesh is a lot more memorable than a chapter about global labour standards.

Most students have sat through a tutorial in which the TA’s question, “Who wants to talk about this week’s readings?” is met with blank stares.

I believe discussion groups would be far more engaging if students were assigned readings that intrigue, spark opinions, and promote debate, as many articles have been designed.

“Less is more” is a valid argument when it comes to assigning students readings to complement course work.

Teach the concepts in the classroom and help students to extend these lessons to the world around them by providing affordable and interesting reading material they’ll want to remember.