Arriving on campus for the first day of fall semester classes, you couldn’t be blamed if you thought Carleton was a new school. The whir of construction equipment can be heard in multiple locations across campus. For some, the construction is nothing but a mild annoyance. But for other students with disabilities, it could be a serious barrier to making it to class.

Construction for the Nicol Building, a new building dedicated to Carleton’s school of business, is taking place right in front of the University Centre (UC). This means the route to get into a central building on campus is longer and more difficult. The Para Transpo stop near the UC and the Architecture Building is right by the construction, and the route to the stop for the buses has now become a major walkway for pedestrians going to the UC.

Walkways and surfaces surrounding the new ARISE building, next to the Loeb Building, have been cut off or become uneven, making travel between classes difficult for someone in a wheelchair. Additionally, the closest parking lots to the centre of campus are completely blocked off because of construction.

Progress and new facilities are a good thing. However, for some students, they create more barriers to attending classes. Carleton is known for being a leader in having an accessible campus. This reputation must be upheld when big construction projects happen into the school year.