Home News National Universities adjust policies as cannabis legalization approaches

Universities adjust policies as cannabis legalization approaches

121

Canadian universities are adjusting their policies on cannabis use on campus in preparation for Oct. 17, the anticipated date of federal legalization.

Some universities are outright banning the drug while others are designating areas where students can light up.

The University of New Brunswick (UNB) would follow the New Brunswick Cannabis Control Act Bill-16, which outlines the use, selling, and consumption of all cannabis products within the province, according to a notice from the president provided to the Charlatan by Natasha Ashfield, acting director of the communications office. 

UNB will “take a responsible approach that respects and adheres to the legislation while focusing on harm reduction and education,” according to the notice.  

The New Brunswick cannabis legislation limits smoking to private areas, vacant land, and designated areas, therefore smoking cannabis anywhere on the UNB campus (a public space, including residences) will be prohibited.

However, non-smoking cannabis products, such as edibles, can be consumed by individuals of the legal age of 19 in private residence rooms and designated spaces and lounges only.

The personal growth of cannabis is prohibited on campus and any students or staff under the influence of cannabis in a professional setting will be dealt with through internal procedures.  

Eddy Campbell, president and vice-chancellor of UNB, said in the notice that the university has taken a “responsible approach that respects and adheres to the legislation while focusing on harm reduction and education.”

He said the university will accommodate the use of medical marijuana and will formalize what the accommodations would look like in consultation with Human Resources and Student Services.

Smoking on residence

The University of British Columbia’s (UBC) drafted a revision of its Smoking and Smoking Product Promotion on Campus policy, which has been submitted to the UBC Board of Governors for approval.

The revisions of the policy will ensure that “vaping” is added to the definition of smoking and that cannabis and tobacco products will be treated the same under the revision, according to the draft provided to the Charlatan. 

The Charlatan cannot disclose details of the policy because it has not been approved and thus subject to change.

The university’s section 3.10(a) of the Student Housing and Hospitality Services residence contract outlines a set of rules surrounding the use and storage of cannabis in UBC’s residences that will come into effect on the date of legalization.

Consuming cannabis products through inhalation of any means is strictly prohibited in UBC residences, as well as the cultivation of cannabis, according to the contract.

It also outlines that cannabis products must be stored in the student’s bedroom and not a shared space. Products must also be clearly labelled as containing cannabis, and sealed so that the smell is not detected, with the same applying to cannabis equipment.

As far as consequences, the contract states that “failure to adhere to the provisions of this Contract with respect to cannabis may result in the assessment of standards points, the imposition of discretionary conditions, and/or eviction from residence.”

Carleton’s policy

Closer to home, Carleton’s administration has updated its policy on substance use to regulate recreational marijuana on campus.

According to the new policies, students over the age of 19 will be able to possess 30 grams of dried cannabis, but will not be allowed to consume or grow cannabis or have it delivered on campus.

David Oladejo, Carleton University Students Association’s (CUSA) president, said that CUSA realizes cannabis use is a reality of the current society we live in and therefore they will be taking a “harm reduction approach,” ensuring that students who do choose to smoke are doing so safely and are informed on cannabis and its effects.  

He said he encourages Carleton students to be informed on the university’s policies and to reach out to CUSA if they have any questions or concerns.

Students react to policy

Candra Barber, a second-year art history student at Carleton, and Felicity Hauwert, a sociology major, both disagree with Carleton’s policy. 

Hauwert said she knows many people who smoke on campus and on residence despite the policy prohibiting cannabis consumption.

The two students said that changing the policy to allow students to smoke on campus would relieve stress and allow for on-campus students to relax.

“It’s nice to know that in your own space . . . you can have that same comfortableness (as off-campus students) and be able to smoke and relax because that’s a privilege that off-campus students have,” Barber said. “Smoking is supposed to be stress-free so it’s kind of ironic that people do it and they’re afraid of being caught.”