Text:
[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

The Carleton University women’s hockey team plans to join the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) for the 2024-25 season, the university said Friday in a press release.

The move means the Ravens will leave the Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec (RSEQ) at the end of the next season (2023-24) after competing as a varsity team in the league since 2006. 

“We are excited for our program to join our other varsity teams in the OUA and have an opportunity to participate in the province of Ontario,” Jennifer Brenning, assistant vice-president (recreation and athletics), said.

The announcement comes after recent speculation of a Ravens RSEQ departure. A spokesperson for Ravens Athletics told the Charlatan in an email early this week that “a statement on the future of the women’s hockey program remains embargoed due to ongoing discussions.”

The proposed move will see the women’s hockey team join the varsity men’s hockey program, men’s and women’s soccer programs and the men’s and women’s basketball programs in the OUA, bringing the total to seven varsity teams competing in the league.

The Carleton Ravens women’s rugby team remains the only varsity team competing in RSEQ. The press release said the current RSEQ club teams—men’s rugby, cross-country and track and field teams—will continue to compete in RSEQ. 

The Ravens women’s hockey team will now follow the formal processes to make an official move to the OUA. 

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.