Rock band Yo La Tengo released their 16th studio album, This Stupid World on Friday, February 10, 2023. [Photo by Mac Linke/The Charlatan]

It’s been almost 40 years and 16 albums since Yo La Tengo first got together to push the boundaries of indie rock. Their latest album, This Stupid World, gives fans a batch of familiar yet groundbreaking songs, affirming the band’s place as indie rock all-stars.

The album, recorded and produced by Yo La Tengo, provides an immediately authentic feel, as the band chose to record multiple songs live. Each song feels as though you’re in a living room listening to three friends spontaneously riff off one another.

Nowhere is this sense of improvisation greater than on the opening track, “Sinatra Drive Breakdown,” where Georgia Hubley’s motorik style drumming and James McNew’s driving bass lines create walls of distorted guitar texture that weave through vocals so hushed they’re almost secretive.

Emerging from jams held in the band’s studio in Hoboken, N.J., the songs on this album highlight the anxiety and despair present in day-to-day life.

On “Fallout,” Ira Kaplan sings, “Everyday it hurts to look. I’d turn away if only I could,” amidst a sea of squalling distorted guitar noise before inviting the listener, in the chorus, to slip into the comfort of simply disappearing.

The band’s exploration of depressing themes is demonstrated in the lyrics of songs including “Until It Happens,” showcasing the struggle of making a name for yourself before you’re gone. Folksy ballads like “Apology Letter,” touch on more personal struggles of overcoming ego.

Although the album’s themes tend to steer the listener into the anxiety of everyday life, there is a comfort within the hushed harmonies. Many of the tracks feature melodic guitar work and softly-played drums that provide a sense of intimacy.

Yo La Tengo’s ability to mix dark themes with warm acoustic melodies is front and centre on the country-folk song “Aselestine.” Hubely’s haunting vocals about an experience of sudden grief while watching TV are relayed with a beauty that brings a degree of comfort to the listener.

The improvisation generates a sense of isolation throughout the tracks. This fades when the band creates vocal harmonies to sing lyrics about social anxiety and personal struggles with everyday existence.

Despite the intimate challenges that this album highlights, there is a sense of togetherness, suggesting you’re not alone.

The true beauty of the album shines through when the songs take you through hardships and gives you a message of hope, as can be heard in “Tonight’s Episode,” which comedically tells the story of someone mastering yo-yo tricks to experience joy.

Yo La Tengo sums up this album in the refrain of the title song, “This Stupid World,” by crying out against the hardships of daily life, and yet spitefully choosing to celebrate the time they have.

“This stupid world. It’s killing me. This stupid world. Is all we have.”

Featured image by Mac Linke.