The National performs at Bluesfest.
The National performs at Bluesfest on Sunday, July 17, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Greg Kolz via Bluesfest]

The final night of Bluesfest saw temperatures soaring past 25 C under a clear sky. Despite the intense heat, festivalgoers still made it down to LeBreton Flats to enjoy the last few acts of this year’s Bluesfest. 

First up during the evening shows was homegrown act Elijah Woods. The multi-platinum, multi-Juno nominee set up on the River Stage, where he played hits from his 2021 EP “look what i made.” 

Woods told the adoring audience that he was “so stoked to be back home.” He followed this announcement with a cover of Drake’s song, “Just Hold On, We’re Going Home.”

Elijah Woods performs at Bluesfest.
Elijah Woods performs at Bluesfest on Sunday, July 17, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Greg Kolz via Bluesfest]
Woods also took time to interact with the fans crowded at the barricade, jumping down off the stage to take selfies with them while singing. He delighted them by playing a brand new song, “Life After Life,” which has yet to be released.

Woods finished his set by performing fan favourites such as “Ain’t Easy” from his previous collaboration with artist Jamie Fine, and “lights.”

After Woods’ set finished, audience members were faced with a difficult decision. Canadian indie-rock band The Beaches were scheduled to perform at the same time as festival headliner The National. Fans had to either split their time between stages or commit to one performance. 

The Beaches started their dynamic set with performances of “Bad Behaviour” and “Desdemona” from their recent EPs Future Lovers and The Professional, respectively. Fans enthusiastically played their part when the band members encouraged them to sing along.

Lead singer Jordan Miller enchanted the fans with her powerful vocals and stage presence, playing her guitar faithfully while interacting with her bandmates. The band members seemed to be having the time of their lives as they jumped and ran around the stage, playing into their high energy performance. 

The opposite was unfolding on the RBC Stage as The National began their subdued, laid-back set. While lacking in stage antics of The Beaches’ set, The National’s lead singer Matt Berninger captivated the audience with strong vocals, backed up by the band’s smooth instrumentals.

The National performs at Bluesfest
Matt Berniger, lead singer of The National performs at Bluesfest on Sunday, July 17, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Greg Kolz via Bluesfest]
Though a noticeably thinner audience than previous nights, crowd members listened with rapt attention. Many younger fans were in the crowd, perhaps due to The National’s recent collaboration with popular singer-songwriter Taylor Swift on the song “coney island.” Frequent Swift collaborator Aaron Dessner, one of the geniuses behind her surprise 2020 albums folklore and evermore, was onstage as one of the founding members of The National. 

The group wowed audiences when performing hit tunes “Slow Show” and “Light Years” in a show that didn’t lack entertainment value. 

The last hours of Bluesfest 2022 were much cooler, thanks to the setting sun. The laid-back vibes made for the perfect finale to the triumphant return of Ottawa’s beloved music festival.

Featured image by Greg Kolz.