TwoTiime performs at Bluesfest.
TwoTiime performs at Bluesfest on Saturday, July 16, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Faith Greco/The Charlatan]

Bluesfest attendees stepped into the world of hip-hop music on Day Nine of the festival. From TLC to grandson, performers dazzled the audience with a spectacular series of shows.

It’s no secret that Bluesfest starts long before the performers hit the stage. For most, it starts the moment they board public transit. Many Bluesfest-goers take advantage of the free OC Transpo bus ride that comes with the festival’s admission pass. 

For many festivalgoers, the bus ride is a pre-party. Preluding Bluesfest Day Nine, most people on board sported bright neon colours and glitter. TLC’s “No Scrubs” was playing on a speaker snuck onto the bus by a fellow Bluesfester. The smell of alcohol from people’s breath and so-called ‘water bottles’ filled the air. Making friends with strangers before even stepping foot on the festival grounds was easy.

At LeBreton Flats, the energy was off the charts. At the Accora Village Spin Stage, DJ Prosper mixed popular dance hits. A huge crowd had gathered and started a dance circle where individuals were prompted to jump in the middle and show off their moves while being wildly applauded by the group. 

Over on the RBC Stage, Ottawa rapper Big Zee energized the crowd. The artist featured songs from his new album, “Guns & Roses,” and his set included a guest appearance from local rapper TwoTiime. Together, they created a massive stage presence by engaging the crowd at every opportunity. The music was upbeat, and the performance was accompanied by dark psychedelic imagery projected on the back of the stage, adding to the overall experience.

Big Zee performs at Bluesfest.
Big Zee performs at Bluesfest on Saturday, July 16, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Faith Greco/The Charlatan]
Meanwhile, hip-hop artist Lia Kloud was performing on the River Stage. Her vibes were immaculate as she seemed comfortable in herself and her performance. The artist wrapped up her set with her hit, “On Everything,” getting the crowd to help her sing the lyrics.
Lia Kloud performs at Bluesfest
Lia Kloud performs at Bluesfest on Saturday, July 16, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Faith Greco/The Charlatan]
Fans waited excitedly for the performance by American girl group TLC. For many, the group’s music brings feelings of nostalgia and comfort. TLC’s set certainly delivered in providing an immersive experience for the audience. 

TLC is well-known for their take on R&B and pop music. The stage lights reflected off their glittering metallic costumes, creating a gorgeous shimmering effect. 

The crowd was a sea full of TLC band shirts, and most audience members mouthed the lyrics to hits such as “Waterfalls,” “Unpretty” and “Creep,” fully immersed in the performance. 

Toward the night’s end, many fans had to make a difficult decision as grandson and Ja Rule took the stage simultaneously.

Grandson is a Canadian-American singer who takes inspiration from various music genres to create his work, from rock ‘n’ roll to electronic. His music typically revolves around topics of mental health, addiction and other life struggles. The depth in his vocals was incredible, and he seamlessly duplicated the sound of his recorded music.

As grandson’s set came to a close, festivalgoers left the grounds after another terrific night of live music. For the ninth straight night, a dynamic collection of performances united a community of music lovers.

Featured image by Faith Greco.