Text:
[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) council voted to indefinitely postpone the motion to establish itself as a pro-choice organization and instead voted to establish itself as a pro-reproductive rights and justice organization in a meeting on July 25. This decision follows a recommendation from the student issues committee (SIC).

Under the new motion, CUSA’s community engagement committee (CEC) will review existing reproductive justice services in Ottawa to determine how current services might impact Carleton students. The committee will also look for ways to expand students’ access to reproductive healthcare.

The CEC will also work to establish partnerships with organizations such as Planned Parenthood that support expanding reproductive justice resources for Carleton students.

The new motion comes after vice-president (finance) Gabe Paraskevopulos added the original motion to establish CUSA as a pro-choice organization to last month’s council meeting agenda, following the reversal of Roe v. Wade.

It was postponed and referred to the SIC after heavy debate, leading to confusion and criticism from some students. 

Mohamed Riazudden, vice-president (student issues) and chair of the SIC, said the new motion was developed in consultation with Planned Parenthood, the university’s Equity and Inclusive Communities department and university Ombudsperson Melanie Chapman. He added the new motion provides a Canadian context by focusing on expanding access rather than just labelling CUSA as ‘pro-choice.’

“Calling ourselves pro-choice is not enough,” Riazudden said. “CUSA wants to do more.”

At the SIC meeting, Chapman said the new motion would maintain “unfettered access to support services of the university” and recommended CUSA seek student feedback on the motion.

Last week, CUSA hosted a joint town hall with the Rideau River Residence Association where students had the chance to discuss the new motion.

The motion to establish CUSA as a pro-reproductive rights and justice organization passed unanimously with 11 councillors in favour.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.