The University of Windsor has adopted an early warning system that notifies first-year students who are at risk of failing, according to the CBC.

The online program operates through a system where instructors register grades. Academic advisors will then be contacted to provide counseling to those not succeeding in their classes.

The warning system comes with the largest incoming class in the university’s history, according to the CBC.  

Third-year creative writing student at the University of Windsor Caitlin Sousa said she disagrees with the implementation of the program.

“First year is a time of transition so having the faculty provide the students with help and support is fundamental but as the same time, first year is when students learn to adapt on their own terms.”

“Babysitting a student will not help them excel in their studies,” she added.

Tanja Collet-Nejem, acting associate dean for student and academic affairs at the university, told the CBC about 80 per cent of first-year students at the University of Windsor carry on with their studies. But Collet-Nejem also put an emphasis on those who do fail and struggle with academic changes.

“Very often students think they are alone because they're new and they may not know any students on campus. That may lead to other problems,” she said.

Sousa argues said she believes the new system will help university administrators be aware of students that appear to be having a hard time; however, she said she finds it hard to see the benefits to students.

“First-year students need to be given time to figure things out for themselves and in some instances that doesn’t happen well into second year,” Sousa said.

Daniel Piroli, a third-year electrical engineering student at Windsor, said he thinks the program will be successful.

“Going to university costs a lot of money and failing makes those costs double or even triple through repeating courses. Or even worse, failing after two years and having nothing to show for it.”