The University of Toronto is the third best university in the world outside of the U.S., according to the Newsweek College Rankings Report 2011 released Sept. 15.

Preceding the University of Toronto was the University of Cambridge in the number one spot and the University of Oxford in second. Three other Canadian universities made the 2011 list: the University of British Columbia at eighth, followed by McGill University at 13th and McMaster University at 15th.

The Newsweek rankings were compiled from a database that includes statistics from the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Webometrics, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas in Spain and the Shanghai Ranking Consultancy.

Earlier this month, the University of Toronto had also been recognized by various other rankings, according to the Canadian News Wire (CNW). The prestigious Shanghai Jiao Tong University’s annual academic rankings of world universities opened up the ranking season by announcing the U of T as the top university in Canada and 26th in the world. The QS World University Rankings also recognized the the University of Toronto as the 23rd best school in the world.

The Shanghai report assesses various factors of academic or research performance, which would include “alumni and staff winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals, highly cited researchers, articles published in nature and science, articles indexed in major citation indices, and the per capita academic performance of an institution,” according to the CNW.

The university’s faculty of applied science and engineering was recognized as the top faculty for engineering in Canada by the 2011 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU). The U of T has maintained their number one spot for engineering since the raculty rankings began in 2007, according to a University of Toronto press release.