Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

The unofficial results of the 2019 Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) were presented to the Charlatan by Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Sriyanchita Srinivasan on March 21.

This year saw only one slate—Unity—running to fill the five executive positions.

Graduate students were able to vote either ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to candidates as per GSA’s bylaws on March 20 and 21, via online ballot and at polling stations.

A 5.5 per cent voter turnout was achieved, with 212 students who voted in the elections.

All five candidates from Unity won more ‘yes’ votes than ‘no’ votes, and were elected to serve as next year’s executives.

President-elect Ashley Courchene, who served as GSA’s vice-president (finance) last year, received 172 ‘yes’ votes and 30 ‘no’ votes.

Jesse Whattam won the position of vice-president (finance) with 179 ‘yes’ votes and 23 ‘no’ votes.

Shalimar Woods will take on the position of vice-president (operations) next year, having won with 177 ‘yes’ votes and 26 ‘no’ votes.

Namrata Tilokani will fill the position of vice-president (external) who won with 182 ‘yes’ votes and 24 ‘no’ votes.

Hemant Gupta, who received the most ‘yes’ votes out of all five candidates, will serve as next year’s vice-president (academic). Hemant received 186 ‘yes’ votes and 22 ‘no’ votes.

The results will remain unofficial until the appeals period closes on March 28 at 5 p.m., and until they are ratified by the GSA council at an upcoming council meeting in April.

File photo