The University of Toronto’s Student Union (UTSU) passed a resolution at its 2018 Annual General Meeting that condemned the recent free speech mandate implemented by the Ontario government.

The mandate released in August gave all public universities and colleges within Ontario until the new year to implement a free speech policy that follows the guidelines.

In a September press release, the University of Toronto (U of T) said it already had a free speech policy since 1992 but there has been no confirmation that this policy will meet the requirements of the Ford government’s mandate.

The motion to reject the mandate was submitted by the U of T club Socialist Fightback and proposed by member Jack Rising.

In an email, Rising said that the group introduced the resolution because they believe their right to protest is being compromised.

“Doug Ford’s so-called ‘free speech’ policy is really an anti-protest policy, that specifically bars ‘ongoing and disruptive protest.’ Protests by their very nature are disruptive,” he said.

However, Jared Ecker, a second-year political science student at the U of T said in an email that peaceful protests are protected under free speech, but that the shutting down of controversial speakers is not. He finds the resolution “appalling.”

Rising explained that Socialist Fightback has launched a campaign to fight the threat of de-funding for not allowing protests and that the resolution that was presented to the UTSU was a part of this.

The reason for submitting the resolution is because a group like Socialist Fightback has limited resources and “can only do so much” while student unions have a much vaster amount of resources, he said.

“We believe that our student unions have a responsibility to stand up for their members and fight for the preservation of our right to protest on campus.”

He further explained that the original resolution submitted pledged that the UTSU would defy the anti-protest policy, but that they would also put pressure on the U of T administration to reject the policy; however, the resolution was amended and the latter portion was removed.

Ecker explained that university is about the exchange of opposing and controversial ideas, and that he believes free speech is now “under attack” at universities all over North America.

“I don’t care what creed, religious or political views you have, your right to freely speak and present your views on campus is vital,” Ecker said.

According to him, the mandate presented by the Ford government is an “honorable initiative” to protect fundamental rights.

But as a student, Ecker said he is deeply concerned about the possible funding cuts by the province if universities fail to implement those policies and the way they will affect the student body.

“Toronto is by no means a cheap place to attend school to begin with, and if funding to U of T is withheld, I could very realistically see many disadvantaged students not be able to afford to attend our university, or having to transfer,” he said.

Ecker said he believes this directly runs contrary to the mission of the UTSU, which is to make campuses as accessible and affordable as possible for all students.

As for other students, Ecker says the near dozen of people he has spoken to about the resolution, which are of all different political leanings, condemn the resolution and see the decision by the UTSU as inappropriate.

Ecker said several students have said they would “almost certainly transfer” if the Ford government does in fact cut funding.

As for Carleton University, a new policy was drafted in early October and the school has begun consulting students.