The Canadian Federation of Students (CFS) is holding its semi-annual National General Meeting (NGM) on Nov. 16-19. The Charlatan breaks down what to expect.

Downsizing the semi-annual meeting 

The National Executive of the CFS are seeking to downsize the semi-annual meeting in June 2019 to become a two-day meeting, with a maximum registration of one delegate or proxy per local.

According to the plenary budget, this is because the federation finds itself “in a new financial reality” following the expulsion of the British Columbia members and unremitted membership fees over the past four years.

While the CFS initially wanted to exclude the meeting all together, they found that this would result in a non-compliance with the Canada Not For Profit Corporations Act upon consulting with legal counsel.

Campaigns for precarious status students and fossil fuel divestment 

Delegates at the meeting are also voting on a motion for a campaign introduced by Local 8, the University of Winnipeg Students’ Association.

The association is asking the Campaigns and Government Relations Forum to consider creating a campaign that advocates for access to post-secondary education for individuals without status or who have precarious status in Canada.

They’re also asking that the CFS lobby universities to create bridging programs to those individuals to give them “the best possible chance to succeed in academic institutions,” according to the agenda.

Local 8 is further requesting that the CFS include divestment from “irresponsible and exploitative mining in their Divest Now campaign.” 

Divestment is the reduction or removal of finances from a business for ethical or political objectives.

According to the CFS Ontario website, post-secondary institutions often receive private donations that are placed in what is referred to in endowment, and is invested into funds, corporations and companies.

“Unfortunately, many of these investments send funds to companies and corporations that engage in a range of unethical behaviours such as harmful resource extraction projects that contribute to climate change or complicity in illegal military occupations and other violations of international law,” the website says.

Currently, there are 37 active divestment groups on college and university campuses across the country.

Mental health policy 

As the government of Nova Scotia funds an online mental health program for all post-secondary students, a maritime student union is putting forth a motion for mental health policy at the meeting.

Local 7, Student Union of NSCAD University, is asking the CFS to support mental health services that are developed in consultation with students and that allow leave-of-absence from university without punitive measures.

On the other hand, the policy put forth also asks the federation oppose universities that implement mandatory Leave of Absence policies.

Recently, the University of Toronto faced criticism from its students for implementing such a policy.

In June, the university passed a motion which allows it to place students with severe mental health problems on a non-punitive, mandatory leave.

Carleton referendum 

Carleton University, the federation’s founding university,  sought to de-federate from the CFS last month.

The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) held a referendum last month on whether the union will remain part of the CFS or cut ties.

A little more than 52 per cent of students who voted in favour of remaining part of the federation.

Note: The information in this article is based on the plenary agenda provided by the CFS and thus subject to change.