Campus police at the University of Alberta (U of A) have launched an investigation into photographs of U of A swimmers which were posted online and altered to contain inappropriate and sexually explicit comments.

Many of the photos were of members of the swim team, past and present, according to the CBC.

“We are investigating such a matter,” said Bill Mowbray, director of protective services at the university.

Because the investigation is ongoing, he said, no further information could be released.

“It was a nightmare,” one swimmer told the CBC.

“One picture led to six more and six more. There was really no indication of where it started and where it ended. It was just picture after picture. It was disgusting and it’s mortifying.”

Students at the school have not been made aware of the situation and many were shocked to hear what had happened.

“I had not heard about this situation at all,” first-year arts student Megan Jamieson said.

“It seems quite inappropriate and disgusting that someone would do that. I think it should definitely be more known within the student body.”

Jamieson is not the only one who was in the dark on the situation.

“I haven’t heard anything about it until today,” third-year criminology student Jordan Marcichiw said.

“I even asked my friends who were sitting with me if they had heard anything about it and they hadn’t.”

Very little is being said about the situation in order to protect the privacy of the swimmers, swim team head coach Bill Humby said.

“The swimmers who [he knows] are involved don’t want more media attention at the moment,” Humby added.

Sarah Brandon