U of O students can now rent iPads from their university library. (Photo illustration by Pedro Vasconcellos)

After years of loaning laptops, the University of Ottawa (U of O) has embraced changing technologies and created an iPad tablet rental program for students, according to university librarian Joan Cavanagh.

On Aug. 8, U of O’s Morisset Library began loaning 25 iPads out to students for 48 hours each, said Maryse Laflamme, librarian and head of user services.

The one-year pilot project is an initiative by the library to provide students with additional research options and gauge the usefulness of these devices, Laflamme said.

“We were interested in finding out whether iPads are in fact useful for research and learning. The best way to find out is to let people try them,” Cavanagh said.

According to Cavanagh, renting an iPad is completely free to U of O students, staff and faculty and comes with a power cord and adapter in a durable case.

The cost of the pilot project is between $12,000 and $15,000. The funds were provided by the library, which set aside a portion of their computer replacement budget to purchasing the iPads, Cavanagh said.

No student fees contributed to the project, she added.

Hilary Cosmo, a second-year nursing student at U of O said she believes the project is helpful to students, but can cause some distraction in class.

“I think it’s a very unique program, and it could be useful for the more interactive learner,” Cosmo said.

“I personally have avoided the use of technology in the classroom this year by leaving my laptop behind and sticking to notebooks. I’m distracted easily and something like an iPad would definitely have me wandering off in class,” she said.

Carleton’s MacOdrum Library currently offers laptop rentals only. Ingrid Draayer, head of access services, said that at the moment the library is only focusing on “refreshing” the laptop supply.

Twenty-four new notebook computers and 40 laptops have been added this year, she said.

Although U of O’s Cavanagh said she has noticed the project has been well-used by students so far, she doesn’t have any testimonials yet. Students are expected to complete a short survey online after returning their iPad, but the form is still being finalized.

“Students are learning that we have this [program] and they’re curious. It will be interesting to see how they use them,” Laflamme said.