Home Features The great exam quest

The great exam quest

31

Your mission, whether you choose to accept it or not, is to navigate the treacherous waters of studying and face your arch enemy—exams. Just like winter, they are coming. But fear not, we believe in you. You can achieve studying success.

The game plan

Draw out your treasure map for success. Like a video game, set yourself checkpoints with achievements to unlock when you reach them. Make a list of tasks, crossing them off as you go.

The wise old man

You’re going to want a mentor on this arduous journey. Think of them as your Gandalf, your Dumbledore, your Ellen Degeneres. This is the one friend who will pull you back to your books when you start to say “what is life?” They know your game plan and will keep you on track.

Collect your loot

You’ve worked hard. You’ve battled your textbooks and notes. Cash in your achievements. “If I finish this section, I can go to the movies this evening.” “If I complete five readings, I can bake some cookies.” “If I memorize these flash cards, I can eat 100 chocolate coins.” Okay, maybe that’s a lot of chocolate. Treat yourself. The worst thing you can do is forget to take care of yourself.

Recharge and level up

We’re not going to lie. When you’re facing multiple battles, a solid eight hours can be unrealistic. But try to get it when you can, especially the night before an exam. But less sleep doesn’t have to mean that nasty, sick feeling. At a website called sleepyti.me, you can calculate when you need to go to bed so that you’ll wake up at the end of a REM cycle and avoid jarring yourself awake. This secret will help you make the most of your day.

Bonus health points

You might be tempted to skip out on food to get those extra minutes of study time in, but don’t do it. Make a giant batch of your favourite meal, enough to last you the week. Stock up on your favourite guilty pleasure snacks. Nutrition is important, but that warm bowl of ramen might be just what you need to keep your brain fuelled and feeling calm.

Your kryptonite

Stress, your fatal flaw. A healthy dose can keep you motivated, but too much stops you in your tracks and must be avoided at all costs. Sleep, food, and rewards can cut stress down, but sometimes that just isn’t enough. Take your mind off of work, and give your brain a different task, something you have to focus on but isn’t school related. Watch a new movie or bake something. Go out and frolic in the snow. Keeping your brain active, but on a simple task, can break down stress faster than Link can cut grass.

Avengers assemble

Study parties. You either love them or hate them. Some of us are just lone wolves. Believe it or not, studying with someone in a different subject can actually be more beneficial. If you can explain concepts to someone completely new to them, then you know your stuff!

Choose your weapons

Hitting the books doesn’t have to be the same old reading and writing. Mix it up and make it fun.

Try some flashcards. Try anything giant—break out the chart paper and markers and organize your notes by theme or in a timeline.

Make a mural. Write important points (or words, if you’re studying a different language) on sticky notes and spread them around your living space. And don’t forget Jeopardy. Make up a trivia game for other classmates.

You know how you work best. Pick your game plan and stick to it. Prepare well, and unlike the Balrog of Morgoth, you shall indeed pass.