This year, for the first time, Faculty of Science master’s students in certain programs have the option to specialize in data science.

Students who are already enrolled in master’s programs such as biology, computer science, economics, electrical engineering, computer engineering, biomedical engineering, and geography are eligible to apply for a specialization in data science, according to Carleton’s website.

Frank Dehne, a professor in computer science at Carleton, said the program is very popular.

“Some students are already coming to my office, just because they heard about the program through the grapevine even though the program isn’t announced yet,” he said.

The program was expected to be approved in April 2014, according to Dehne, but was only recently approved in mid-August.

The process of approving a new program involves the approval by departments, faculties and the senate, according to President Roseann Runte. The programs then have to pass quality assurance before applying for government funding.

“This process involves considerable consultation and deliberation by the Carleton University community,” Runte said in an email.

Students who are interested in applying to the stream must apply before Oct. 31, according to Carleton’s website. Those who are accepted into the program will begin classes in data science in the winter term.

A similar specialization will be offered to students enrolled in the Sprott School of Business, called business analytics.

Carleton introduced a new health sciences program this year and also plans to introduce an undergraduate program in Global and International studies in the Fall of 2015.